Anyone around here swapped the VQ35 for a VH45DE?

brother_david

Bought my Z some months ago, I live in Sweden so i imported it here from the UK. I've bought a long block JDM VH45DE from overseas, with wiring harness and ECU, no AC, alternator etc. Now Im wondering if anyone here has swapped for this, not very common to do in the Z (or G35) but some have as a quick google shows. Used to nuild Engines for a living so taht shouldnt be to much of a hazzle.

Its a rare one to be sure - IIRC theres a twin turbo VH45 in Shane Lynch's Japspeed S15 .......... indeed there was: http://www.driftworks.com/forum/drift-car-projects-builds/111224-japspeed-vh45de-twin-turbo-s15.html

This guy in France put on in an S13: https://www.driftworks.com/forum/drift-car-projects-builds/123570-s13-vh45de.html

And everyone else I can think of gave up before they finished the project. Would be rather amazing though, step to it ;)

Thanks for replies guys!

Not many vh45 builds on this side of the ocean, thats for sure. Hopefully i wont quit before its done, if i got all regulations understood right here in SWE then it should be possible to register with the vh45 along with a change of brakes. Im not the best guy when it comes to build threads but ill do my best!

The reason i choose this engine is that most run TT VQs if anything but ive always wanted to swap an V8 in a suitable car and its not until now i have one i want to go that route with :) Another reason i choose the vh45 over any other brand or the vk45 or vk56 is its a Nissan and the most bang for the buck compared, if i want to turbo it along the road :)

And hopefully it will ;)

While im waiting for the engine to get shipped over here im doing some research about what parts need to be altered/changed/interchanged from the 350z/300zx(NA+TT) when running a 350z tranny and the vh45. Apperently the z32 flywheels bolts right on the crank but they are alittle bit different in diameter, also i dont know if the gears on the flywhells are the sameom the 350z and Z32s. The alternative is to re-drill the 350z flywheel, some have done this but that feels abit wrong if that means i need to add holes instead of redrilling the ones that exists. Im runng a skeleton flywheel tight now and that makes me even more unsure about the re-drilling bit. Also i might be forced to use a flywheel spacer to get the flywheel on the right distance from the crank to get the starter aligned :-O

• 3 weeks later...

Looking forward to it myself, Ill admit that ;)

Should be enough space but through some ref pics it looks like its actually quite tight considering the width of the engine but definitely possible! Got acouple of things running through my mind when it comes to space, the VH45 should be a fair amount 'longer' so i might run into a problem with two solutions; either fit the engine as far back as possible but with the downside that i have to manufacture new gearbox mounts, shorten the driveshaft and manufacturing linkage for the shift stick. The other solution is to fit the engine with the gearbox in stock position and making space infront instead. Problems there might be framework, cooler relocation etc.. Well well im doing this for the fun of it and manufacturing custom solutions is really what makes me fire on all cylinders ;)

Ofcourse i want the engine located as far back as possible due to the extra weight and what it does to the handling, considering it weights about 150-200!!! lbs more.

Also looking forward with despare ( ;)) the approaching issues with running a z33 gearbox and starter on the VH45 which apperently has the same flywheel boltpattern as the z32's. Read somewhere that the z33 flywheel can be redrilled to fit the VH45 but that feels abit... shakey.. Also might be having som eissues with clearance so that i have to space the flywheel out abit so that the starter can engage. Another combo might be running z32 TT flywheel, probably with spacer, and z32 tt pressure plate but the z33 clutch disc, not sure about the diameter of the Z32 TT flywheel clutch area and the Z33, the z33 might be abit larger in diameter but maybe not to much to clear the z32 pressure plate... pheeeew :surrender:B)

Many reasons; first of all, keeping it Nissan ;) Im not in any way thinking Nissan=God but its fun to keep it in the family.. B) and hopefully more compatible as i want to run stock gauges as far as i can on this. Also wanting to see how the Nissan V8s compare to the US logs. My neighbor is running a Chevy smallblock single turbo dragster (1408flywheel HP 1580NM yada yada) so its a nail in his eye to step into his yard too as i plan on going TT next year. Another reason is pricing, bought the engine shipped to Sweden for 1799 USD, far cheaper then any LS Engine though they have ALOT more aftermarket parts and knowledge :dry:

With companies like sikkys providing dropin solutions and guys like Bizz with the on hand knowledge of fitting the LS series motor to nissans would it not be a safer bet to look along that road and if need drop a supercharger on that later down the road

http://www.sikky.com/view_item.php?id=169&catid=12

Edited by StevoD

Dont really feel like an optionfor me though, way more expensive, leaves the all-Nissan feel and also half the joy is doing this by myself, not buying a ready to go-kit, not enough satisfaction in that :p Owned a shop for acouple of years doing just this kind of things so its hopefully not to much news for me :)

Thanks HmmBen, Im not after those huge HP as you say, though i have distant plans to add two turbos, but those are still just plans. But if i do that it takes so much with it, if i want the turbos to come to use i would do a complete rebuild, although if i've understood it right the VH45 is quite strong when FI'ing it :blush:

• 11 months later...