Lightweight Flywheel?

Terence Bower

Right,decided that [as there were no takers] and really dont want to become a member of the "M3 Set",I am keeping my 07 313 Z.

BUT,as the car will be coming to Germany with our impending move over there,I want to change the clutch and fit a lightweight Flywheel as I'm sure the Dual Mass retains too much heat. Looking for advice on what route to take pleaase.

Hi mate,

I would recommend the SMF as it is one piece, maintenance free with no moving parts and very light which changes the mass and inertia which in turn allows the engine to spin up faster.

However, due to not having any damping properties like the DMF you may potentially experience some gearbox idler chatter below 1500 rpm but a slight change to your driving style will help to eliminate that.

IMHO the increase in performance far outweighs any negatives.

However if you are paranoid about noises and do a lot of town running then perhaps DMF would be the way to go.

Plenty flys and clutch kits in stock for the DE and HR, so no drama with supply.

Alex. :)

Dave put my mind at rest about a LW flywheel, and im glad i did it. Had it in around a year now, and just consider the noise part of the Zed now. Really worth it IMO, and once you have driven with it in, then you realise what your missing out on.

Dave put my mind at rest about a LW flywheel, and im glad i did it. Had it in around a year now, and just consider the noise part of the Zed now. Really worth it IMO, and once you have driven with it in, then you realise what your missing out on.

Yep people say they couldn't bear the noise and tes if you start it on a cold morning it sounds broken but the feel and response you get from it are well worth suffering that...

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

any updates on these choices guys? - Any knock on effect to gearbox idler bearing for instance, as increased noise must be a sign of more movement somewhere in the chain

Old thread is old. Plenty of people running SMF inc my self, with numerous updated threads knocking around.
  • Like 1