Yay, I'm off to Spain! Anyone learnt Spanish as an adult?

twobears

Mr Two Bears has been and gone and got headhunted for a job in Madrid so I need to learn Spanish pronto. See I've learnt my first word already :lol:

Really it's Mr Two Bears who needs to become fluent as he will be there full time and I will just be visiting whenever I fancy topping up my tan B) We've signed up for evening classes which start next month but just wondered if anyone had successfully taught themselves by using a language course and, if so, which one?

I agree that you pick up a language faster when you live in a country for a while. When I lived in France for a few months I quickly started to dream in French for some reason :wacko: The thing is he will be in charge of a lot of people and it seems only polite to speak the language as well as he can before he gets there. I don't really need to learn but I want to help him as much as I can. If I learn too we can have conversations so that he can practise :teeth:

I learnt subconsciously in my 5hrs a day whilst commuting to London from Birmingham. But my subconscious decided to forget a load of it. But I did learn this......

Eres una hermosa mujer con grandes pechos, ¿vendrás a la cama conmigo?

• Like 1

Oh, and congrats to Mr.Bears on the new job :)

Thank you. He's really excited about it :)

I daren't even try translating all those phrases - I just know they will be rude :blush: I suppose it would be good to know some unsavoury words just in case but I think we'd better learn the basics first :surrender:

The good thing about Madrid is that English will get you by. Picking up the formalities in Spanish should be pretty easy. As long as you can meet and greet and say thanks etc. you will be fine. The problem I had was that when I got more fluent in Spanish I stopped concentrating and somehow kept drifting into French which I am pretty fluent in. Very strange. :blush:

The good thing about Madrid is that English will get you by. Picking up the formalities in Spanish should be pretty easy. As long as you can meet and greet and say thanks etc. you will be fine. The problem I had was that when I got more fluent in Spanish I stopped concentrating and somehow kept drifting into French which I am pretty fluent in. Very strange. :blush:

Bonjour, uno Cerveza, thank you :lol:

Martin, I am the same! Thought it was just me :blush: I have started a few Spanish sentences (very basic at the moment) and ended up completing them in French :scare: I have a degree in French and, although I don't get to speak it very often, it is obviously still there in my head.

I know that Mr Two Bears will be ok without a lot of Spanish but he will, I think ( if I have understood correctly) have a large number of Spanish staff and he doesn't want to come across as your typical Englishman who thinks that speaking louder is all there is to mastering a foreign language :lol:

Wasso, you are doing it too!! Let's all forget about French and concentrate on Spanish for the purposes of this post please :boxing::D

Edited by twobears