370Z TWM Short-throw Shifter Install

TheMacDaddy

Been on the wish list for a while this one, especially as my stock shifter buzzed like crazy at 5,000 RPM. So, after three years of the annoying noise, I finally got around to replacing the shifter with a short-throw unit from TWM in the States.

http://www.twmperformance.com/shortshifters/nissanshortshifters/nissan370zshortshifters.htm

The first pic is the stock shifter with a black Nismo gear-knob.

The instructions supplied are pretty good, albeit with a few mistakes for the 370. You have to pretty much remove the centre console to give you room to work, unbolt the old shifter, then it's under the car to undo the linkage. The bottom rubber boot that protects the bushings and the base of the shifter from road grime is an absolute pig to re-install - took me almost 30 minutes just to reseat it!

It was worth it though. Sharp, short changes and a much more solid feel - in fact it feels just like the short-throw on my old 986 Boxster S.

I went for a big Type-R knob in graphite with the shift pattern etched in. Perfect size, it isn't actually that big, fits well in the hand and has a very reassuring heft to it.

Don't bother with a new shift boot, the stock one works perfectly and the one they sent me didn't fit - might have something to do with the fact that there's a sticker on the inside of it that says "350Z" - so if anyone with a 350 wants a black shift boot with red stitching, PM me!

Matt

e9e03514cf42446790234329d340cd46.jpg4babb4464384421799174da89c55eacc.jpg

56f42e5c9fe347c4a27f22559c121c66.jpg261c07edac8c4e32b5eba1f8143730d9.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting man, nice one.

I was looking at these as I have coem from Honda, who produce some fantastic, close, tight box's (oo-er) I was a bit left down by the 370Z one.

Reading reviews on the US site I was out off by teh reports of noise and vibrations, like what you mention in your OP, but on teh OEM shifter.

Has the vibration gone/reduced now ??

Also speaking to one of my track fiend mates he gave me his opinion on short shifters saying that compnays spend thousands on trying to match the throw of teh gear stick to the travel of the clutch pedal so that it feels as natural as possible. Then people go and ruin it by adjusting the gear throw but not the clucth pedal.

He's a bit of a track racer and it sort of made sense when I thought about it but wonderd how much of that was just preference, have you noticed anything annoying about that ??

:teeth:

No not really noted a problem with the clutch travel. I would be surprised if Nissan worried that much about it on a Z given the general agricultural nature of the transmission in general!

Vibration is reduced but still present at 5k RPM, but the new shifter doesn't make a high-pitched whine like the old one. That's why I originally changed the shift knob to the Nismo one to try and cure it.

Edited by TheMacDaddy

• 6 months later...