Make the steering lighter?

Luke0549

Just a quick idea I had.

newer cars have such light steering and when sitting in slow moving traffic/round town, its effortless and nice.

I know the Punto has a 'city' button that makes the steering really light, anyone know if it would be possible to fit something like this to the zed?

:ban:

Light steering is the curse of the devil. It lacks feeling and weight, and even in traffic I wouldn't want it any lighter. Punto et al new cars are fitted with EPAS which makes it very easy to give different steering feel, whereas the Zed has HPAS which isn't so easy to do. The revup and HR cars had speed assisted steering that does weighten at speed, I cannot remember if the earlier cars do: I suspect they do, but I can't confirm that.

it lacks feeling and weight, yes, but who really cares at sub 20mph? I agree when actually 'driving' you don't want it, that's why I suggested the 'city' punto relation and see if anything similar could be fitted? or switch from hydraulic to electric PAS?

I like a nice heavy wheel :)

Honestly, im almost certain its not possible without possibly somehow a oversized power steering pump, my thoughts being it would pump harder and therefore feel lighter, but I doubt its even possible. The zeds not that heavy anyway, go back to the days of driving a Vauxhall Astra estate with a 2.0 ltr non turbo diesel that has no power steering and weighed about 2 tonne, then tell me the zeds steering is heavy!

Edited by cs2000

Having driven a performance car with the optional speed-assisted steering (991 C2S and C2), I can tell you it's bloody horrible when you're nailing it for a tight hairpin then suddenly the steering goes all weak and floppy and girly and you end up with armfuls of opposite lock you don't want. Trust me, the steering in the Zed is nigh-on perfect. :thumbs:

Having driven a performance car with the optional speed-assisted steering (991 C2S and C2), I can tell you it's bloody horrible when you're nailing it for a tight hairpin then suddenly the steering goes all weak and floppy and girly and you end up with armfuls of opposite lock you don't want. Trust me, the steering in the Zed is nigh-on perfect. :thumbs:

I hate it when things go floppy in my hands :)