Square front plates ?

modd1uk

/end thread here.

http://www.legislati...nts/made#note13

http://www.legislati...20010561_en.pdf

The above PDF is worth a read to any doubters. Page 14,15, 16 etc. Diagram 2b refers to my private plate (P** AFR),

" A group consisting of a single letter and not more than 3 numbers Diagrams 2a, 2b and 2c.

followed by a group of 3 letters (for example A123 ABC). "

Apologies if I'm wrong on this, but that relates to character spacing more than plate shape. Whilst square plates are permitted (I'm not denying that, btw) I'm sure there is something (which I accept may have assumed to be law) that states something along the lines of (I can't remember the exact wording and I can't be ar*sed to look it up :lol: ) that if there's a "suitable space" for a rectangular plate then it must be rectangular. Certain cars - such as Land Rovers, Evos, etc, (with regards to taxi's, it's more specifically the lack of space for the required information to be displayed along with the plate leads to the lack of space) - don't offer a "suitable space" to mount a rectangular plate and so comply; hence my comment regarding the rectangular mount.

Not meaning to be argumentative here or anything, but I'm adamant there is something along those lines in place. If this is the case, and as I tried to make out in my last post, you'd be incredibly unlucky for it ever to be an issue providing you remove the rectangular mount... which would just look stupid with a square plate anyway in fairness. :lol:

Character spacing yes, but also letter layout hence the diagrams ;).

Rectangular mount is coming off, and the JDM plate mount is going on so hopefully won't look daft !

If I get proved wrong i will eat my hat with a slice of humble pie. Can only go off what the official document says lol.

Just read the document again, nothing in there stating about having to have a rectangle plate fitted. Feel like a bit of an ass for being like this but needs must lol.

SCHEDULE 3 Regulation 12, 13 and 14

LAYOUT OF REGISTRATION MARKS

PART 1

TABLE A

PERMITTED LAYOUTS FOR REGISTRATION MARKS

2. A group consisting of a single letter and not more than 3 numbers followed by a group of 3 letters (for example A123 ABC) - Permitted layouts : Diagrams 2a, 2b and 2c.

That applies to me, and the following applies to people with normal registrations :

1. A group consisting of two letters and two numbers followed by a group of 3 letters (for example DE51 ABC). Permitted layouts : Diagrams 1a and 1b.

Edited by modd1uk

Yeah, I'd believe what you've found over me too... even if I did have a link to back me up. :lol: I'd read that document more as "assuming you have this plate, set it out as such, if you have this one do this" rather than "you can set it out as either this, this or this". But either way, if the rectangular mount is coming off anyway then it shouldn't ever be an issue regardless.

If I find some ar*sed to search out where I read that above, I'll post it up. Until then, feel free to ignore me (I'm used to that these days anyway). :teeth:

• Like 1

Yeah, I'd believe what you've found over me too... even if I did have a link to back me up. :lol: I'd read that document more as "assuming you have this plate, set it out as such, if you have this one do this" rather than "you can set it out as either this, this or this". But either way, if the rectangular mount is coming off anyway then it shouldn't ever be an issue regardless.

If I find some ar*sed to search out where I read that above, I'll post it up. Until then, feel free to ignore me (I'm used to that these days anyway). :teeth:

I will never ignore somebody unless they were a complete ass. But if you do find some official documentation please feel free to post it, i mean if i'm wrong i would like to know so i can make humble apologies :D

You can't argue with the permitted layouts though, that's as clear as day it shows a square plate lol.

Edited by modd1uk

I will never ignore somebody unless they were a complete ass. But if you do find some official documentation please feel free to post it, i mean if i'm wrong i would like to know so i can make humble apologies :D

You can't argue with the permitted layouts though, that's as clear as day it shows a square plate lol.

Well, I'm not sure about complete, but the other bit might apply. :lol:

I absolutely agree that square plates are a permitted format, I think I already said that, but it may not be a blanket "help yourself to this" type format. Unless I'm wrong. Which is perfectly possible.

Ill state again Seat put square plates on leon and ibiza brand new cars where this is room for a normal shape one im sure Seat didnt break the law with tens of thousands of cars

And Seat differ from the Land Rover or Mitsubishi examples I already quoted how exactly?

The grey area (if I'm right, which I admit is in doubt) is the definition of "suitable space", or more accurately the lack thereof.

Ill state again Seat put square plates on leon and ibiza brand new cars where this is room for a normal shape one im sure Seat didnt break the law with tens of thousands of cars

And Seat differ from the Land Rover or Mitsubishi examples I already quoted how exactly?

The grey area (if I'm right, which I admit is in doubt) is the definition of "suitable space", or more accurately the lack thereof.

Because as you stated land rovers and evo have square plate holders so its allowed, Leon cupra r didn't and still don't yet Seat Dealers including the one im from Put square plates on them from new even tho the bumper is fit for normal EU rectangle plates, Im quite sure DVLA would have looked into it it was illegal and seat let 20-30,000 cars out on the road with illegal plates

http://www.ebay.co.u.....e<br /><br />:

http://www.ebay.co.u...<br /><br />

And for proof normal plates fit

http://www.ebay.co.u.....<br /><br />There are hundreds of Leons and ibiza with square plates on uk roads sent out by Dealerships

And Technically a 12x6 or 13x7 plate is a rectangle

Edited by StevoD

Okay,

An imported vehicle can only display an import plate if it satisfies two criteria:

(1) does not have European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval and

(2) is so constructed that the area available for the fixing of the registration plate precludes the display of a registration mark in conformity with the requirements of regulation 14

Regulation 14 refers to the link Modd1uk posted up earlier.

Criteria 1 satisfies Seat and Land Rover, and other European marketed cars.

However, it is criteria 2 specifically that I have been referring to all this time.

A concession which will permit some vehicles to continue to display import number plates was announced on July 31st 2001 by Minister for Transport John Spellar.This will apply to certain imported cars, mainly from America and the Far East. It follows concerns about the cost of modifying vehicles which are designed for foreign markets and unable to display UK size number plates.

All information courtesy of DTLR.

Must be legal then...................

post-19350-0-05508900-1374056917_thumb.jpg

post-19350-0-41709700-1374056986_thumb.jpg

Or imports...

You want a quote for: EU07OLA

which is a: 2007 Subaru Impreza Wrx Sti Type Uk, 2457CC Petrol, 4DR, ManualNot the right vehicle?

Based on this we think your vehicle:

• Has a Factory Fitted Thatcham Approved Alarm/Immobiliser
  • Does NOT have a tracker
  • Is NOT imported
  • Has 5 seats

Nope its UK car guess the police are breaking the law as that impreza can run a EU rectangle plate

• Like 1

Can we happily all agree that i'm the all mighty greatest person that ever lived ? Ok maybe not, but at least that from what we have read it seems there is nothing illegal about square number plates on our cars.

We've had a :group::gathering: and discussed your case ... and ...

4 us u r :#1::king::notworthy::lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by ATTAK Z
  • Like 1