Are driverless cars the death knell of the motor biz?

HaydnH

Brilliant idea, if you assume that everyone only uses their vehicle to commute or travel to a specific place. For everyone else who pops out to do things at odd times, or just goes for a hoon, it'll never work.

Due to how the Western world actually works, I can't see this happening in my lifetime, or anywhere close to it. Maybe in communist Russia where the car drives you, but not here.

Brilliant idea, if you assume that everyone only uses their vehicle to commute or travel to a specific place.

The article bases it's math on 50% of people only use their cars for commuting:

What I don't have data for is the number of vehicles that travel outside the commute (because the owner uses it during the day), but let's assume that half of all commuter cars – four million – are idle from nine to five.

In time I'm sure these will take over

More immediately is the pressure from insurers to fit your little black box which will log those occasions when there's nobody around and you give her a spirited run at 2:30 in the morning - but the system will log all the instances and your premium will rise. . . and rise. . .

They're just trying to kill any joy or fun in driving, based on the (flawed) logic that "speed kills" I think it's poor driving without adequate training which is dangerous, but they're going to apply the law to the 'lowest-common-denominator'. When 90% of the population are idiots - they have to base the assessments on that, so the ones who have the skill or ability are all 'ouside-the-norm'.

But in time (and I think it will be in our driving lifetimes) they'll make cars which drive themselves, at 30 mph, at 45m from the guy in front, all controlled by radar and computers, and you'll be stuck with this - between 2 little 1 litre eco-diesels

And - like Jack Nicholson in One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest - if you show any spirirt, or rebel against the Driving Establishment you'll be imprisoned or lobotomised.

I genuinely think we're the last generation who'll get any entertaining motoring. So - make the most of it while you can.