350Z help???

350zPaul

Hey can anyone help me, im looking for some small performance mods for my 350Z, i dont want anything too major as insurance is bad enough because of my age. Can anyone help please? thanks in advance.

Paul

:welcome: 350zpaul

When you say performance what exactly are you looking for? Extra bhp? Speed? Noise? braking? Suspension? Exhaust?

There are loads of options, and loads of info on it all on here. Any specific questions, just ask :thumbs:

Tyres make a big difference. Suspension would too I believe.

Tweaks are pretty pointless because of the self correcting ECU. Stick on a filter and exhaust for a bit of noise but that'll be it really.

Ahh ! and a new fresh set of brake pads... ( Ferodo 2500 something or other... I heard they are pretty good... they are my next purchase... )

Big Phil if you are reading this... a price reminder for ferodo pads would be nice... ;):teeth:

Welcome dude, for performance mods, i would also go down the suspension and tyres route. You wont get much increase from small mods much as an induction kit etc due to the ECU, unless you get a piggy back!

Have fun on the site mate and stay away from The Minel, i hear he likes new boys! ;)

Hi thanks for that :), insurance is a bit of a killer even with the car being standard cause im only 18, i was gonna go down that line of bigger wheels and have the car lowered (eibach or koni). is the piggyback expensive and can it damage the car in anyway? i was told a remap would maybe give me 10-20 extra, i dunno how close that is to the truth though. thanks

Hi thanks for that :), insurance is a bit of a killer even with the car being standard cause im only 18, i was gonna go down that line of bigger wheels and have the car lowered (eibach or koni). is the piggyback expensive and can it damage the car in anyway? i was told a remap would maybe give me 10-20 extra, i dunno how close that is to the truth though. thanks

I have a set of Tein S-Tech lowering springs available if you want? :blush:

Sorry if this is this sounds like "old man" telling "young Wipper-snapper" the ways of the world...

but don't waste money on power upgrades... IT IS a waste of money...

Plus at 18 i am guessing that 280bhp is going to be a bit more than you have probably driven before and definetely on a RWD car?

I have done some driver training, and limit handling stuff a few years ago... and I still find this car can completely catch me out ...

Do the suspension, do the brakes, yes but not the power ...

and in my opinion I would invest in learning to use the 280bhp to the max...I've said this before , but on an a road , some one who can REALLY drive could definetely thrash the sh!t out of me in a MONDEO , i have no doubt of that ... and no excuse of how many horses or how upgraded the car is will excuse the fact he thrashed me in a sedan...

however learn to use the 280bhp to the max ... and

a) your insurance will drop, :thumbs:

B) you'll minimise your risk of accidents... ( I know i have a few and the insurance is not good...) :thumbs:

c) you can be sure that the fast guy in the mondeo will NOT be able to keep up.... :yahoo:

d) you can let the AstonM brigade (or the bad BMW drivers , Not you KEV of course ;) only the ones that give the bad reputation...)know what it feels to be thrashed by a Nissan car... :p:teeth::p

Shocks? yes, Tyres ? YES, Springs? Maybe...Brakes? Definetely

CAPTAIN SENSIBLE SIGNING OFF ;)

:welcome: and enjoy the forum

performance BHP gains aren't really possible with the self learning ECU hence the reason for a piggyback. Utec is one possibility, talk to Val (theMinel) he has one. CAI and plenum is prob the best starting point for noise gains and perhaps it feels a bit more powerful.

Hey thanks very much that sounds great, when you said change the breaks do you mean pads or everything? cause its brembos on it just now. could you advise me on which products to buy e.g tyres, suspension etc, how much did that training course cost and how long did it take? thanks again.

paul

brake pads alone will have a noticeable difference and if you have brembos you have a decent setup already!

The driver training was through work...3 days...probably around 1grand...

so around 300 quid a day... but it was 2 years ago and this need to be refreshed regularly otherwise bad habits kick in very quickly...

Different companies provide different packages, but a days training (Half Road and Theory, and Half on a track will give you some decent foundation to decide but make sure it is a decent supplier.

I have only experience of this guy in the past he's very good but maybe expensive privately? He did my training when i worked in Honda ...

http://www.totalcontroldriving.com/comp ... tions.html

But "ride and drive" http://www.ridedrive.co.uk/index2.html is the forum recommended school and maybe someone here can advice.

other than that I know of the guy who runs CAT driver training, and he waqs involved in the development for europe of the 350Z (tuning aspects of the japan JDM, to make it more driveable in Europe), so he knows a bit about the car and what it can do... but i am not sure what the story is between this forum and CAT... :blush:

Hey everyone thanks for the help, could anyone advise me on a bigger set of wheels and tyres, was looking at 19" lenso's but im not sure. would it be better(cheaper, easier) to buy from the internet or try and find a supplier (i live in scotland).

the car is totally standard just now as you can see from the picture!

Damn ...how the heck did u get insured on a 350z when youre only 18??? How much is it costing u?

Regards to upgrades.. save your money for a £4500 supercharger and re-map stage 2 to get 380hp - im thinking by the time u can afford it the insurance would have reduced too!

Ahh ! and a new fresh set of brake pads... ( Ferodo 2500 something or other... I heard they are pretty good... they are my next purchase... )

Big Phil if you are reading this... a price reminder for ferodo pads would be nice... ;):teeth:

Sorry for the delayed reply no computer for the past few days but as Sarnie said already DS2500 pads are £185 for the full car inc delivery.

Cheers Sarnie :thumbs:

The insurance is a killer :thumbdown:. i had a bit of money saved for a while so i bought the car 2 weeks ago yesterday and paid the insurance aswell, i must say its been worth every penny :teeth: . I am seriously considering the advanced driver training (does anyone know places that do it in scotland?).

Sorry for the delayed reply no computer for the past few days but as Sarnie said already DS2500 pads are £185 for the full car inc delivery.

Cheers Sarnie :thumbs:

No worries pal ;)

The insurance is a killer :thumbdown:. i had a bit of money saved for a while so i bought the car 2 weeks ago yesterday and paid the insurance aswell, i must say its been worth every penny :teeth: . I am seriously considering the advanced driver training (does anyone know places that do it in scotland?).

For advanced driving, I recommend the Institute of Advanced Motorists.:thumbs:

There are local groups all over the country and you can get details at -

http://www.iam.org.uk

For track and high speed training, try the Knockhill circuit - they offer a variety of courses. :thumbs: