Locations for a photoshoot? Recommendations please...

Katy

My partner has just been put forward as a stills photographer for a professional car shoot. For this job, he needs to provide some examples of work he's done in the past, and as he hasn't done any real car photography before, we need to quickly get out and take some snaps of the motor! :)

Does anyone know any good locations (ideally in the South East of England) where we could go to take some pics? Looking for two distinct kinds of venue: ultra urban (think inner city / graffiti walls etc.) and very rural (think isolated Scottish landscape). If you've got any other ideas, even if they don't fit to these two categories, I'd love to hear them.

I know I'm asking a lot, and people may not want to share these secret spots, but any help you could offer us would be MUCH appreciated as we are short on time.

Thank you! :)

The best bet is just make a day of it, go driving and you will find good spots along the way.

Ultra Urban... London, there is a graffiti tunnel on the other side of the river to the london eye. Thats good although a little common in car pictures nowadays.

As for countryside, look at English heritage sites maybe? There is a awesome building on their land in Silsoe that is good for a snap or ten.

Thanks guys. Yes, in the absence of any hard recommendations we will just take a drive out and make the best of it. Leake Street in Lambeth looks fantastic although I don't know how easy it would be to get the lighting rigged up there without being moved along! The EH site at Silsoe also looks fantastic. Going to make some enquiries at airfields etc. to try and get some 'open space' shots too...

Would love a derelict building shot, maybe Sheerness in Kent is worth a try... A very spooky place indeed.

ultra urban -

- canary warf in london

- felixstowe docks (pick somewhere like shotley and you can shot back with the docks in the background.)

- lakeside carparks

- industrial estates

- bentwaters air base (suffolk again)

- up at shotley i think is the old HMS gangees, its derelict, but i don;t know what access there is.

- colchester footy club

Rural -

- Aldebrugh (suffolk)

- rendelsham forest (suffolk)

- shingle street (suffolk)

- dedham (colchester way )

-

We can tell from the extra fingers :p

Urban stuff I can't help with, but for the outdoorsy bits I'd just head out to the nearest area of green stuff at dawn/dusk and shoot away. Even just placing a car at an angle on the road with some fields and barns behind it will look ace if the lighting is right.

night shots are great, if you can find a quiet bridge over a dual carriage way and do some long exposers can look good, with the right ligting you can highlight the car, and then in the background you get all the traffic leaving light trails in the background. might need a ladder to get some height to shoot down on the car and traffic.

• Like 1