Correct Idle rpm and Possible Adjustment... Or Something else...

fellsteruk

Hi Guys,

Quick questions from a newbie who is loving his Z...

So from cold she starts and idles fine and its nice and smooth when ticking over however after driving for a little while as she warms up "am i crazy to refer to my Z as a she?" you can notice a faint blip/shake in the engine as its idling however the rpm stays solid, i have manually increased the revs every so slightly and it goes away which is making me think the idle is a little slow however it looks like its about where it should be according to what i have just read...

Any thoughts and suggestions?

Stephen

is it like a misfire?

It doesn't feel like one, its almost as if the revs are dropping too low and it recovers but the rpm stays solid... She has just been picked up now to have a service tomorrow so we will see if any different if not i will take a closer look myself at the weekend when i can get her in the garage

What Colin said ^^^ The cars are mapped to have the AC on, I think most cars do this when the AC is off & the idle is down a little, probably something to do with the cam timing/lift. I`m sure someone like Mark @ Abbey will be able to provide a more technical explanation, or just say "put the AC on"

You can change it slightly with cipher and more with an uprev.

On idle though the car has to drop to 800rpm or so to activate variable valve timing. This was found out when keysers car was mapping and highlighted some issues with my car also

is it like a misfire?

It doesn't feel like one, its almost as if the revs are dropping too low and it recovers but the rpm stays solid... She has just been picked up now to have a service tomorrow so we will see if any different if not i will take a closer look myself at the weekend when i can get her in the garage

Have the same problem, i though misfire at first but after a full service, plugs the lot there was no change. Happy with those answers though ^