Exhaust Alignment

Moonbather

Apologies, I suspect this has been discussed before, but a bit of searching and I didn't find it.

I've just got a 54 plate Z as of Sunday.

Just sorting out some bits to my taste (replacing head unit with something smarter, etc). The one thing that slightly bugs me is the exhausts being poorly aligned:

photo1-2.jpg

Is there something that can be easily done about that? The exhaust is secure, it's not rattling around. It just seems to be a bit wonky.

It's also very grubby, so any advice on cleaning the exterior of the ends would be welcome.

Thanks.

I believe it's an OEM exhaust.

I'll pop in somewhere and get them to look at it and buy some Autosol while I wait. I have plenty of elbow grease :p

Thanks very much all. :thumbs:

If its oem, the alignment is due to 3 backbox plugs. Go under the car and just check their sll in place. Its 2 on one side and 1 on the other. Little metal finger from backbox that plugs into a rubber plug... sorry for bad explanation

My oem exhaust looked exactly the same as that when I bought my Z. When you look at the 3 exhaust mounts on the backbox you'll find that the 2 on the o/s are ok but the 1 on the n/s has broken, so you'll need a new exhaust mount rubber and that'll straighten things up.

Thanks guys. Got the thing up on a ramp and had a look. The back is an aftermarket stainless steel box and the hangers probably need modifying to make it fit properly.

However, the classic problem of the real seal corroding has struck and the (OEM) mid section has entirely separated from the joint, it's just resting in place. He sent me away to find a mid-section to replace it with.

I've had a quick look on here and found threads like this: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/65920-exhaust-bracket-corrosion/.

The only difference is that my backbox is relatively new and stainless steel, so I would only be looking for a mid section. I'd like to keep the cost down as I've just forked out for the car. What's a sensible and cost effective way of sourcing a new mid-section.

FYI - the Y pipe section is OEM and a little scrappy visually, but has some good miles left in it. I'd consider changing that too if it is cost effective, but my priority is to minimise my outlay for now.

Thanks all!

The OEM y pipe has a heat shield on it, they always look tatty. As for the mid pipe, bring it to a welder and get them to chop the flanges off and weld a sleeve over the join, £30 or £40 :thumbs: