Passenger under seat airbag connections

Flex

Guys, this is miffing me right off now, does anyone know exactly which connection is the culprit and is there a more sturdy connector that could be used?

Had the seat out, pushed all connectors together and bound them up then reset light but back on after a week.

Is this an Alex call or is there a solution without bothering him with such, what should be in my eyes a simple fix?

BW,

Craig

ECU reset will only work if the fault is past and not current. It is cause by a design fault (the terminals inside are not tight enough so the resistance goes up and ECU register an open circuit). The cheapest (and the bullet-proof) solution is to cut the connectors out of the circuit and just soldering the wires together (make sure wires are not swapped), but you will need to cut/re-solder them if you need to remove the seats for any reason.

ECU reset will only work if the fault is past and not current. It is cause by a design fault (the terminals inside are not tight enough so the resistance goes up and ECU register an open circuit). The cheapest (and the bullet-proof) solution is to cut the connectors out of the circuit and just soldering the wires together (make sure wires are not swapped), but you will need to cut/re-solder them if you need to remove the seats for any reason.

+1 :thumbs:

Just did that to my mates Rover MG. His failed the MOT as its now a requirement and his missus works the seat back and forth all the time.

Soldering was the only think that kept the light off for more than a week.

Edited by flyboy

With hindsight I would seriously try bullet connectors first before soldering, much less risk of setting the car on fire, and must be easier than soldering whilst lying on your back upside down hanging out a passenger door :blush:

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Have you done this yet? If not maybe hold fire mate

ive bought a z with the drivers seat airbag deployed and the plugs have been cut out and wires soldered direct. Ive got some new seats to go in and also some replacement yellow plugs/sockets to add back in.

If you look into the end of the yellow plug there looks to be something possibly a resistor between the two sides/wires.

Ive measured between the two terminals with a continuity tester/meter and there is DEFINETLY something joining them up. (See photo) as the meter bleeps to show they are joined.

Good luck

post-19717-0-46583200-1376162866_thumb.jpg

Edited by timb2010

I wouldn't do it mate. Ive just spent the weekend refitting the yellow plugs.

The garage I bought it from tried to resolve the SRS lights by cutting out the plugs. He had cut out both the yellow plugs off and had soldered wire to wire on just the drivers side. The passenger side was just left with cut wires.

The drivers airbag deployed on him for whatever reason. whether this was caused as he removed the built in resistor in the seat end of the connector plug (as above) or whether he was testing his work scoping it with a multi-meter or even the heat of him soldering that ignited the fuse!

I would suggest unplugging the airbag connector on the car/loom end, then using a very small precision screwdriver pull up the little white tab on the side of the plug. It clicks out about 3mm. Then the wires and end connectors can be pulled from the plug.

The connectors on the seat side of the plug have a pin that pushes into the middle of these connectors. If you then look at the connectors on the end of the wire and push/bend the middle section down a little bit so that the pins on the seat connector have to push slightly harder to get in and are now a tighter fit.

I only know this as I had to pull out and rewire/solder every single pin on both seat and car connectors and looked how they pushed together to make contact.

See attached

Good luck!!

post-19717-0-18763900-1376340503_thumb.gif

Edited by timb2010