Laptop wireless internet connection help

Removed

I want to be able to use my work laptop with all these free hotspots

The laptop hasn't got an built GPRS card as it's a bit old (although runs on Xp), is it as easy as buying a card (and if so, what do you suggest?) plug it in, install the drivers and away you go, or is it more difficult than that?

Want to be able to use hotspots abroad too, is that possible?

Tnx

The laptop hasn't got an built GPRS card as it's a bit old (although runs on Xp), is it as easy as buying a card (and if so, what do you suggest?) plug it in, install the drivers and away you go, or is it more difficult than that?

You won't be wanting a GPRS (or 3G) card for standard Wi-Fi hotspots - you'll just be wanting a "wireless network adapter", which can come in a variety of flavours, including a PCMCIA card and USB.

As for using abroad - I don't see why not.

You won't be wanting a GPRS (or 3G) card for standard Wi-Fi hotspots - you'll just be wanting a "wireless network adapter", which can come in a variety of flavours, including a PCMCIA card and USB.

As for using abroad - I don't see why not.

Agreed. GPRS cards are used to connect to the mobile network (as in phone network) and use 3G to get web access.

I would recommend getting a PCMCIA wireless card as they dont extend as far out of the laptop as USB one will. Get a Netgear or Belkin and you'll be sorted (see the one from Dabs above)

Should be fine on the contenant as long as they dont secure their networks :thumbs:

I have the following card kicking around the house... use to have it with my PDA but now got a PDA with WI-FI inbuilt...

If you are interested and you have a PCMCIA port on your laptop, you could try this...

128MB + Wi-Fi CompactFlash

It looks like this

Wireless_w128Memory_small.jpg

sandiskdualwifi-big.jpg[/img]

I haven't got any of the paperwork...but you can get more information and latest drivers here...

http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/Default.aspx?CatID=1110

make me an offer and its yours if you want it... otherwise, when i find it... it will go on E-bay

Zedrush, Val could try that Driver War programme you had on your PC, it picked up about 4 Wireless networks last night, 1 of which was unsecured! Cool B)

Ha ha whilst we were waiting to go I quickly tapped the unlocked one and it duel roamed again I was gonna get out and call everyone round the car, but it was bloody cold so figured we will spy another time. Didnt see much person was in the middle of loading between pages :thumbs::thumbs:

Also Ricky its a Mac not a PC I take insulty for that just kidding :p:p;)

Zedrush, Val could try that Driver War programme you had on your PC, it picked up about 4 Wireless networks last night, 1 of which was unsecured! Cool B)

Ha ha whilst we were waiting to go I quickly tapped the unlocked one and it duel roamed again I was gonna get out and call everyone round the car, but it was bloody cold so figured we will spy another time. Didnt see much person was in the middle of loading between pages :thumbs::thumbs:

Also Ricky its a Mac not a PC I take insulty for that just kidding :p:p;)

I like to take credit for all your work too,since it was all my idea :teeth:

minel

First i would check with your IT bots @ your work and check its OK for you to do this as being an IT nerd before, you could get stated if you accidentally brought a virus in from being on a non-company network, and some worms are self-probergating so you may not even realise it.

Laptops are a notorious problem for companies and network security, but they may have a policy in place allowing you to do this with it workign safely within thier infrastructure. Alot of companies allow there users to connect to these HotSpots and use something called a 'VPN' into thier company anyway.

If you dont care though, try and be as safe as you can. Install a software firewall, like Blackice, or smoothwall. Make sure ure antivirus is nice and up to date, and also that you have ALL the latest microsoft patches downloaded and installed through 'microsoft update'.

Buy a Proxim Gold A/B/G card from a guy called 'data-alliance' on Ebay. Run for about £30 and have an antenna also. If you ever want to do wardriving , they are the best. . . .

Val - you dont happen to be thinking of taking the laptop round europe too do you? do you have a map free wireless spots?

Would be good to get the pictures posted up whilst we are doing the travelling :)

yeah was thinking about that actually, but mostly to make sure my virtual basketball team has the proper tactics set up for the league games I'll be playing while away! Only registered a couple of weeks ago and am well hooked! B):teeth:www.charazay.com

minel

First i would check with your IT bots @ your work and check its OK for you to do this as being an IT nerd before, you could get stated if you accidentally brought a virus in from being on a non-company network, and some worms are self-probergating so you may not even realise it.

Laptops are a notorious problem for companies and network security, but they may have a policy in place allowing you to do this with it workign safely within thier infrastructure. Alot of companies allow there users to connect to these HotSpots and use something called a 'VPN' into thier company anyway.

If you dont care though, try and be as safe as you can. Install a software firewall, like Blackice, or smoothwall. Make sure ure antivirus is nice and up to date, and also that you have ALL the latest microsoft patches downloaded and installed through 'microsoft update'.

Buy a Proxim Gold A/B/G card from a guy called 'data-alliance' on Ebay. Run for about £30 and have an antenna also. If you ever want to do wardriving , they are the best. . . .

Hi mate,

no worries about access policy, I'm sorted ;)

About viruses, I'm knowledgeable enough to not get one :)

The GPRS option was due to the fact that at home I've just upgraded to the BT megaoption (same price as I was paying before £20/month, upped speed to 3mb, fastest it'll go in my area, got a BT hub, bt internet phone, free evening and weekend calls, freeview box with OD stuff, unlimited downloading, and x amount of free minutes to their wireless network) so am wondering if they include the GPRS card or not.

One of our customers has left me one of their laptop where they have a GPRS card working with 3G, which slots in the PCMCIA port, and connects to business everywhere from Orange. Then you open a secure tunnel with another connection and connect to their Intranet (so I can use their Online reporting tool), and the GPRS card has got a little sim card in it, hence my question. I have tried putting it in my work laptop, but would need the software and passwords (they are currently saved on their laptop, so I don't know those) I guess, to use that one with that card! :lol:

But if you guys say that a simple wireless network card will do... great! :teeth: how fast will it go?

just an update:

bought the cheaper edimax one.

Also, just got upgraded to BT Total broadband with:

unlimited download limit, speed up to 8mb (I know my line won't go any faster than 3mb but hey, better than the 1mb I am on currently...) BT home hub, BT hub phone and their new freeview/hard drive/on demand box for free. All for £20/month all in (which is what i was already paying anyway)

I have set up the home hub linked via LAN cable to my desktop (for which I didn't seem to make it work, apart from not having enabled the LAN connection :blush: ), and now my work laptop can access the internet with the wireless card (inputting the WEP key though, as the network is secure) but it works :yahoo:

is WEP secure enough guys? I'm guessing so, but I thought I better check

Guest prescience

It would be preferable to set it to WPA-PSK if you can - the card itself certainly supports that if it's the Edimax one. What router do you have and is it supplied by BT