clutch replacement. diy job?

wizurd

evening all :) maybe just being paranoid but think the clutch might be starting to go on my 350. when in sixth if i floor the accelerator the Rev needle blips up and down say a few mm's in half a second rather than just going upwards. might well be I'm being extra picky lol but just incase how hard a job is it to replace a clutch. what special tools would I need. I've got axle stands trolley jack sockets and the usual tools. have done stuff before but not dropping clutches. so any tips or advice welcomed. thanks :)

Edited by wizurd

Put it in a high gear while going slowly up a hill and try to accelerate, that should show whether its slipping.

My MX5's clutch has started to slip sometimes but only after I've been giving it some stick.

Sounds like my symptoms, over revving then biting.

Would suggest its a two person job due to weight of gearbox. 5-6 hours works as well especially if you have not done one before. I wanted to do my own but changed my mind. Yes it cost me a thousand pounds but £750 of that was clutch and flywheel, labour quite insignificant compared to parts.

my reason for diying it was because I don't know a garage I'd trust to do the work around here at the mo. heard about one in Usk that maybe I could use. always fairly untrusting when it comes to garages. but good point that isn't much labour.

lol. two ways to test a clutch then. sixth and uphill or supercharger :D nice. I did wonder if I was being over cautious. will test it more and see. cheers mate.

just sure I never noticed it before.

Edited by wizurd

no problem. its certainly a more expensive way to test it :lol: . I only noticed it after reading on here about it and trying it. it would be interesting if someone whos recently had a clutch change to put up if their rev counter does it. I think it could possibly be a slight voltage jump that causes the needle to jump slightly

I used Formula 1 and haggled a bit and they would fit parts you provide too but they try and advise against this because of there is a problem you would be liable for labour charges to remove parts for you to pursue complaint against provider. I did insist on Exedy parts though and they sourced them, perhaps a little dearer than the cheapest places I found for these parts but I consider this okay as in effect it's like an insurance should they fail because they will then foot the removal bill.

Nissan were also very helpful by me and offered to fit anything I provided but labour would have been £320 + VAT (4 hours)

• 2 weeks later...

It is advisable to change the flywheel at the same time as the clutch, partly because they often go when the clutch goes on these and partly because you don't want to pay labour charges twice, ice once for the clutch change and again for a flywheel later on. Probably minimum £250 labour each time.

We sent out a stage two Competition Clutch with matching flywheel to a member in Cornwall, excellent combo, drop us a line if we can help... :)

I always forget about you with stuff like this!

Wizurd, definately give mitz (CS) a message as he has sorted me out with prices for stuff which nobody has been able to compete with. Customer service is always top notch also

• Like 1

Hey mate just got my new clutch and fly fitted today. Mines was slipping, although sounds alot worse than yours.

WHenever I out my foot down a little it revved up high. No acceleration. 0-60 in about 20-25 seconds cus I had to be so gentle on the gas.

It Could be your in the start stage of clutch going.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies. So far no worse. Not slipping anymore so don't know if it's def a clutch issue that's coming on or just something I'd never noticed before. But will keep an eye on it and if it does start to slip as others have described I'll def be getting it sorted with the suggestions on here.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Thanks for all the replies. So far no worse. Not slipping anymore so don't know if it's def a clutch issue that's coming on or just something I'd never noticed before. But will keep an eye on it and if it does start to slip as others have described I'll def be getting it sorted with the suggestions on here.

Just noticed your post. Hope it's all ok mate.

Yer mate. I've tried testing the clutch with 5th and 6th gear foot to the floor tests and it'd not slipping as such literally just a split second blip of the Rev needle and then she's off. I'm thinking it's just something I'd never noticed before.