Chris Harris on the 370z vs GT86 and Cayman S

Level 7 Boss

Yeah it's all fine I know what you meant. With written communication it's very easy to misinterpret. It's one of the purposes of emotes but even those make it worse.

My original post meant to say that I'm sure the Porsche is a superior machine but for me it's a victim of its own success, there are too many about and it's not unique. Would I love to drive one, he'll yeah. Actually best not as it might be an expensive test drive.

Cracked up yesterday as I left the office and hey presto 2 were parked right next to me :)

• Like 1

Theres a reason why a Cayman S costs £48k and a 370Z costs from £26k.

Is the Cayman S a better car, I'd say most neutrals would say yes. However is the Cayman S £22k of a better car.... Hmmm.

I could put a new 370Z and a half decent spec new 3 series on my driveway for the cost of a new Cayman S.

Also the GT86 being included in the review is a bit bizarre, as I wouldn't say it's the same category of car to either the Cayman or 370Z. It's not a like for like comparision.

Without ever having driven a GT86, I doubt I'd ever buy one due to it's meagre performance spec. In every day driving, power rules (within reason) over handling.... and the 370Z doesn't exactly handle bad! The cars handling ability is greater than the limits most drivers are willing to push on the road. Sure the GT86 might be a well balanced, and dynamically brilliant car, but I will very rarely get to experience it's potential.

Edited by Badgeronimous

just for interest, although boorish idiot Clarkson was predictably not very complimentary about the Z, the Top Gear magazine review was actually very complimentary

http://www.topgear.com/uk/nissan/370z/road-test/v6

Fact of the day: the white Z which appears at the end of the review on the programme (being driven hard by The Stig :wacko: ) was the very car that later became my first Z! :)

I test drove a 2011 Cayman S, and a new 370z GT Edition when I was opting to buy my car in December.

I opted for the 370z over the Cayman.

Why, it's quite simple. The 370Z is more of an anti-car than the Cayman.

They Cayman was terrific, very precise, very German.... However the 370z is everything the modern eco concious consumer doesn't want. @*!# manufacturer badge, terrible economy, terrible road noise, etc, etc.

I've no doubts I could of went from A to B, or around a track quicker in a Cayman S, but the 370Z would be giving me the bigger smile, hence why I chose the 370 over the Cayman.

The geeks choice would be the Cayman 9/10, it's superb, no denying it. However, it just lacks something in my eyes. It's got it all, and nobody ever like the perfect kid at school. The 370z isn't perfect, and that's why I love it.

Thats a good post. I like to read facts not made up rubbish. I get where you are coming from.

Just to be pedantic..... there are actually no 'facts' there just someones opinion :snack:

1 persons opinion is another persons 'made up rubbish' surely :shrug:

No doubt but if its an opinion with no basis e.g. lets say I say your Jag is rubbish. You say have you driven it? I say no. Then its made up rubbish. Lets now say you ask me the same question and I say yes I drove it but didn't like xyz and prefer abc then I have a valid opinion with basis.

Another example lets say I say your car is slow because its a diesel. It's rubbish with no basis. There is a right and a wrong in that sense.

If someone says i prefer the 370 because of the way it is and makes me feel etc then that is opinion.

I wasn't having a dig at will even though he seems to think I was all I said was he is off the mark. He made some statements which have no basis e.g. the 370 has way more power. Hardly 20bhp more but it weighs 200kg more and the 987 is faster in a straight line and a track although that counts for little. Thats why I said off the mark, didnt say wrong I just thought he was a little wrong :lol: .Then look at badgeronous's post. He just said well I prefer it to the 987 for these reasons. Thats cool as its his opinion on a car based on somethinhg. His was an informative insightful post. I don't see why anyone is getting defensive I never said the 370 was bad?

I like all cars as I like to think I'm a petrol head. Just because I drive a nissan doesnt mean I HAVE to love all its cars and everything about them. There are plenty of other nice cars out there.

Yeah like I said just being pedantic :p

I have driven 2 different 370's and although lovely to drive I didn't consider upgrading to one at all... That doesn't mean I thought it was a bad car, far from it, just not for me :thumbs:

• Like 1

I had a choice between a 2009 Cayman S and 2011 370Z GT back in December.

Drive both, both handle really well. But the 370Z was the more fun. I though the Porsche had no attitude, back end was planted.

370Z has better interior.