Hey potential new owner

Hi guys, im considering a 370z as my next car, having a 2008 civic type r at the moment. Just a little unsure of running costs. I dont mind insurance costs but do you really notice the difference in mpg and tax ? I do around 12000 miles a year so would it be suitable for me ? Thanks

Welcome, my mpg is just over 27, road tax is a killer £475 but if that puts you off then it's not the car for you. Servicing is not bad but every 9000. I'm pretty gentle on tyres but they are pricey, decent make will be about 1k for all 4 corners. Great car, probably very different from the Honda. Mine has been pretty bullet proof in 30000 miles, first car I've kept for 3 years in the last 20..had to have an MOT this week!

mpg same for me - averaging 27.9

insurance is dependant on who and where and your own circumstances - no-one can answer this for you, 'cos they range from £180ish to over £1000 :shrug:

tyres from £850 for all 4

Hi, I traded up from a Peugeot RCZ GT200 3 months ago. The insurance is not much more but the tax will be almost 3 X as much and MPG just over 10 mpg less but well worth it for the extra 130bhp but then I don`t have to use it everyday as go to work on the motorbike.

Thanks for your replies, im thinking it may be a little too much for me, although I can afford I just dont think I would be willing to pay that much to run it unfortunately. Just so hard to find an alternative that looks as appetising as the 370z. Maybe when I have settled a bit more I will take the chance. Meanwhile any recommendations for something similar ? I guess the 350z is a similar running cost ?

Its more the tyres and servicing as I do a fair amount of mileage. I would be servicing twice in 18 months easily and replacing tyres every year and at 250 quid a pop it just seems like a big jump from my type r. :( sad though as this is the only car im desperate to own right now.

well I've got a 350 55 plate and tax is then 270. however goes up to the same price as the 370z if you get one 06 onwards I believe. tyres wise it's cost me just under 1k to fit all round however that's for a top notch brand of tyres plus I'm running on 19s so the usual 18 inch rays (correct me if I'm wrong) would be less for tyres.

insurance is dependant on who and where and your own circumstances - no-one can answer this for you, 'cos they range from £180ish to over £1000 :shrug:

Wish I got 27.9mpg. Mines around 21- 22mpg with mostly traffic free rural driving.

Wish I got 27.9mpg. Mines around 21- 22mpg with mostly traffic free rural driving.

easy on the right foot my friend - is the key :thumbs:

Welcome :thumbs:

Your wise to do your homework. I would go for something which will leave you with some spare cash in your pocket. No good having no money when it comes to buying a round of drinks at the bar. :thumbs:

Unfortunately the 370z is probably not the car for you if running costs are going to be a major concern. Mine is driven purely for pleasure / trips away etc and mostly at the weekend. I probably average only about 10k miles per year and it still costs a fair bit to run. New tyres in a month or two at about £1k, for example. Sorry to be negative, but its a good thing you are being realistic about what you feel is affordable.

How many 370Z's do you see on the road? - not many. How many TT's do you see? - loads.

It may only be a Nissan but I tell you it still turns heads. I find it quite ironic that a mass producer of cars can deliver an affordable (in terms of purchase price) sports car that is exclusive. I see about one 370 a month and I drive as part of my job.

• Like 1

How many 370Z's do you see on the road? - not many. How many TT's do you see? - loads.

It may only be a Nissan but I tell you it still turns heads. I find it quite ironic that a mass producer of cars can deliver an affordable (in terms of purchase price) sports car that is exclusive. I see about one 370 a month and I drive as part of my job.

Very true, I'm probably advancing to a 370z, my 350 always feels special to drive, also there is talk of 370s dipping in price due to Nissan lowering their prices from July, so I am waiting to see what happens, a good time to get one, may even save 1-2k on a late model, this will pay for a set of tyres tax and a service .

I'm a weekend driver so fuel would not bother me but using everyday "scare"

Unfortunately the 370z is probably not the car for you if running costs are going to be a major concern. Mine is driven purely for pleasure / trips away etc and mostly at the weekend. I probably average only about 10k miles per year and it still costs a fair bit to run. New tyres in a month or two at about £1k, for example. Sorry to be negative, but its a good thing you are being realistic about what you feel is affordable.

+1 - I think this is right, sadly.

I use my 370Z every day, back and to from the office (reason I opted for the auto) and everything else. I bought it at just over a year old with 12K on.

I get about 21 to 23mpg. Oh course you have to buy 97 RON which always the high octane fuel which is another expensive. I use 2 full tanks a month which is about £200 in fuel.

I got it serviced at ABP Motorsport rather than a dealer as they asked £150 for P2 service compare to Nissan £300.

Tax is a problem though, was in post office the other day and a young lad couple years younger than myself was complaining about £150 road tax, thinking to myself try £470.

But I love driving my car, it never fails to turns heads, plus as before someone mention there pretty exclusive because of running costs.

• Like 2

Thanks guys your help is much appreciated. Sadly I think its a little too much for me and I wouldnt want to be worrying about money all the time due to my car. When my partner has finished her degreevan gets a job then I think ill be able to grab one :D

• 2 weeks later...