claying advice

wizurd

hi.

just a few quick questions. I tested a clay kit just on the roof of the zed today. never used clay before. sprayed the quick detailer on to the roof in patches and used the supplied clay bar to swipe back and forth over the rood. afterwards I'm finding that the surface is a bit slicker but still seems to have some resistance. do I just need to wipe off the left over detailer and go again?

also I'm spraying quite a bit of detailer so that the clay doesn't grab as it's going along the paint work. is that right?

final question is that I'm getting pink liquid residue as I'm claying. now the detailer is clear liquid and the clay is white. what is this pink liquid I'm seeing?

cheers

Yes, yes and which kit are you using?

Keep repeating the process until the clay isn't picking up any fresh contaminants - i.e. the bar is still clean after it's passed over the area you're working on. It should then feel totally smooth when you run your fingertips over it.

Always use plenty of lube (oo-er) otherwise you run a greater risk of marring the paint and that'll need to be polished out then. It's always better to use too much lube than too little.

thanks all. glad to know using losts of lube is the right thing to do :)

it's the auto glym kit. I just cannot figure out where the pink residue is coming from. could that be wax or something applied to the car in the past? not waxed it since I had her 6 months back just washed. although gonna do a full job on Friday before the Wales meet.

watch a youtube clip to see how to do it properly - such as this one - there are lots more search youtube "how to clay bar your car"

Edited by ioneabee
  • Like 1

excellent clip thanks. yep that's what I was doing. when I get chance to do the car this week I'll just have to go over her a few times. once done then it's the paint cleaner then wax. fingers crossed Friday will be ok and can spend all day on her ready for the weekend. will have to double check the detailer but when I sprayed it it looked clear but once I'd rubbed the clay across a pink I was getting a pink liquid on the car and the clay.

If the residue comes off easily (you may need to use some of the lube to shift it if it's dried on) then I wouldn't worry about it, it's probably just the lube.

Could always open the bottle and have a look if it's bothering you that much. :lol:

lol true. if i was at home I would. will have another look tomorrow when I get home. just thought it a bit odd. praying it'll be dry Friday now because I seriously want to clay the whole car and do the rest of the steps as well. crappy weather!

I haven't clayed the Z for some time now as it doesn't need it.

I have recently taken ownership of a secondhand car which needed a good fettle. knowing how much contaminants were present i used Iron-X after washing. The results were extremely good albeit the car went a shade of pink during the process.

The Iron-x removed about 80% of the contaminants which just left a light clay application needed. The knack is ti use plenty of lubricant, like previous comments say, save of QD and use a light consentration of water and car shampoo.

Ps dont clay in hot weather, best on a cool overcast day. Shouldnt be too difficult in this country :lol:

Ps dont clay in hot weather, best on a cool overcast day. Shouldnt be too difficult in this country :lol:

Yes! do NOT clay in 30 degrees direct sunlight as a...erm...friend of mine once did....! all that will do is melt the clay bar which, believe me, takes some fixing... :blush:

Edited by cs2000