The 2 Bucket Wash Method

Razpulsedj

Here is a guide i wrote on my forum which can be found at www.Aggressiverides.co.uk

In this section i will explain what the two bucket method is and what it actually does to your car. Also ill explain why a sponge should NOT be used and include some info of a Grit Guard and its purpose

Whether or not you have access to running water whilst cleaning your car either via a pressure washer or hose, many detailers still combine these with the ‘ two bucket ‘ method of washing a car.

So why use two buckets when one should do?

This is the basic principle of the two bucket method i.e. to avoid the grime and grit getting back onto the paintwork and causing swirl marks and light scratches as you wash your car, motorcycle or other vehicle.

What is the Two Bucket Method?

P1050419_zpsbef7c421.jpg

To use the two bucket method you simply use two wash buckets, putting your wash shampoo mix in one and clean water in the other. Firstly give your car a rinse to loosen dirt and wet the paintwork. Again if you do not have access to running water use a watering can or similar.

Next Step with a Wash Mitt

KGrHqVikE7CphSMm6BPTjEtwrvw60_35_zps93021486.jpg

Next soak your wash mitt in the wash mix solution and begin washing your car.

Then, before putting your mitt back into the wash solution simply rinse it out in the second bucket of clean water. This will remove the dirt and bits of grit from the fibres of your mitt so making sure they do not make their way back to your paintwork and reduces the chances of creating swirling and light scratches. Now you can got back to the first bucket of wash mix, dunk your wash mitt and continue washing – each time following the same process.

Grit Guards ( What is a Grit Guard?)

grit20guard-3-450x450_zps3c209f41.jpg

A Grit Guard is inserted into the bottom of your wash bucket and everytime you dip your wash mitt into the bucket the water moves around, This causes all the dirt which has settled at the bottom to once again move around in the water, these can re-attatch themselves back into your wash mitt deeper and once running your hand along the paintwork also rub the dirt into your paintwork causing scratches and swirls.

The Guard prevents any loose dirt particles from moving around in the bucket causing the above. A bit of kit worth buying!

Razpulsedj

Where do you get cheap buckets and guards from? Cheapest I've found online is about £25 for 2 buckets / guards, surely it can't be that expensive for some plastic?

Anything associated with " detailing " usually is unfortunately. They use our obsession against us.

Have to agree with ilogikal1, it's just a bucket. Any brand new bucket will do from anywhere for a couple of quid. Grit guards may stop some debris swirling back up on to your mitt, but personally I don't think it's necessary. As long as you don't do what I read somewhere which said you should rub your mitt on the guard to loosen the debris. There's no way you should be that deep stirring up the grit in the bottom of your bucket!

thanks for this everyone keeps going on about the 2 bucket method but no one has explained it, the other day I chucked 2 buckets of water over the car and thought....is that it...it looks the same :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: