Just found my old car on Auto Trader after 12 years!

roadtrip

Something very bizarre just happened. I'm not looking to change my car any time soon but when I do I'm thinking I might get another Porsche as I absolutely loved the one I used to have, I was even talking to my other half about it earlier! So, I was surfing Auto Trader to see what was about in my expected price range and came across my old car which I sold 12 years ago! :scare:

On the one hand it brings back great memories and I'm really pleased it's still about and looks well cared for. Maybe the coincidence is telling me something and I should buy it back? I don't really want to run a classic everyday and I can't justify more than one car at the moment, was really looking at a 993 as the oldest I would go for now but more likely a 987 Cayman or 997.

If I sold the Zed to buy it back how would I feel about the Zed in 12 years time? :shrug:

http://www.autotrade...201303165807449

911+%25281%2529.jpg

Edited by roadtrip

That 911 is so nice! I didn't realise they were still so reasonably priced... expected it to be twice as much. Would be a sound investment as it surely is only going to increase in price? :cloud9:

Don't do it, it'll never be the same, just keep the memories :)

What glrnet says. If you have so many fond memories of that car then they're better kept as memories. I dare say if you drove it now 12 years later there's every chance it will underwhelm in terms of acceleration, braking & handling etc to what your now used to.

Must admit tho it still looks the part and I bet it sounds lovely.

Edited by Bems

That 911 is so nice! I didn't realise they were still so reasonably priced... expected it to be twice as much.

The mileage was 135k and there were rust holes on the chassis below the engine, a wear patch on the drivers seat base and the gearbox was very awkward between 1st and 2nd (a lot worse than the Zed) when I had it. It looks like the seat is fixed and I would guess the other issues have too but despite that I doubt it's "one of the best examples available" because if it was it probably would be worth near twice that. I enjoy driving my cars and deliberately didn't buy the best example as my daily driver to avoid the anxiety. It still looked great, drove great and was 100% reliable even with the mileage. :thumbs:

Edited by roadtrip

You might be a bit disappointed by the drive and handling of the Porsche now but if you want to go get her back - I'd snap up Saffy if I was in a position to when she comes back on the market :thumbs: and as others have already said the Porker will be a decent investment if you're planning on keeping it ;)

buy it and make it a RWB porsche ;)

I had to look that up. :blush:

Something like this?

idlers_4_orange.jpg

I would love a car like that for racing but for the road... well I just don't think I could to it and definitely not to my old car. :nono:

You might be a bit disappointed by the drive and handling of the Porsche now but if you want to go get her back - I'd snap up Saffy if I was in a position to when she comes back on the market :thumbs: and as others have already said the Porker will be a decent investment if you're planning on keeping it ;)

The drive would certainly be very different to a modern car but I think mostly in a good way! The ride was a little hard (could have been the 17" wheels it shouldn't have had) but it had very sweet handling with no power steering, really great fun. I once took a work colleague out in it who had a 600+BHP 300ZX auto and he thought the 911 had 400+BHP from the way it drove, it just sounded and felt like you were going a lot faster than you probably were. :teeth:

The thing that let it down massively was the brakes which were pretty hopeless, six months before I bought it I'd been driving a new BMW 3 Series (1996 E36) and the brakes were light-years ahead. One time I was driving down the M40 in light rain on my way home from work and someone inadvertently drifted into my lane and I had to hit the brakes hard, all four wheels locked up and I slid sideways. Managed to catch it and no harm done but that was a definite brown trouser moment, made me realise that you have to pay attention 100% of the time, every time you drive it as there is nothing to catch you. At least in a modern car you can leave the driver aids turned on if you're just trying to get from A to B and not out to push it and have some fun.