D1 Spec v3 Throttle Controller worth it or not ??

Y23DRH

D1 Spec v3 Throttle Controller

Would one if theses be any good for my car

I have a lot of mods already including remap lightened flywheel carbon exedy triple clutch full custom exhaust system and decats and have custom manifold to go on aswell yet ......... goes like a train already only get 17 to 19 mpg out of it so would be in sport 7 all the time i guess as it drinks any way lol

Would it be worth me buying one ????

And can i still have the car mapped again with this on as we'll

And one final question where can i get one ??? I have posted a wanted add up already :)

• 2 months later...

Jez at Horsham Developments is where I got mine. I ended up replacing the OBD2 plug on mine for one thats not quite so tight around the OBD2 socket on the car (it was an absolute t--t to get off once I'd pushed it on). The wiring loom and general install was fine, but be aware that the two grey plugs that go together have to be fitted together in what looks like an "upside down" manner in order to be correct, otherwise it wont work, wont light up the display and your engine will stall when you start the car. The reason the plugs look upside down when you fit them together, is so that you can thread a zip tie all the way around the two plugs to hold them securely together. I also had to remove the white plastic insert in the plug between the pins. This would all make much more sense if you had one in your hand to look at while I describe my (and many others) woes.

Hugely recommended upgrade though. Despite being called a 7 step throttle controller on the outside, it has 7 economy modes (ec4 or ec5 is lovely for normal driving and especially reversing) and 9 sport modes up to SP9. Just make sure there's no one about if you switch to SP7 and up because it's pretty mad, but great if its just you and the tarmac.

you'll also need to google "350z CEL reset" too if you're check engine light comes on after faffing around with it and turning your ignition on and off a few times (inevitable).

I didn't like it to be honest when I had mine.

I ran it for 2-3 months in ECO5, made absolutely sod all difference to fuel economy. SP7 mode is good, kinda, but if you use it the car feels ultra jumpy, slightest touch on the throttle and it lurches forwards. Gets you away fast, granted, but with TC on it just made it kick in every time.

Sold mine on here in the end.

When I had my first 350 I was first to test it, although think it was v2 at that point and found it superb. I only used sp5 though as sp7 was too much.

Yes it's hard to pull away in an orderly fashion, but the reason I would engage sp5 was to GET a quick standing start.

I done several timing tests and couldn't establish any difference in time getting to 60 etc but when you feel the difference you couldn't possibly envisage that your not getting to 60 faster than normal...

I found eco4 or 5 great for when there had been torrential rain as it made sure it's impossible to go too fast, was also good for when snow was on the ground.

I would thoroughly recommend it, in fact I'll need to get myself one now I'm back in a 350 again :drive1

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't think they were needed after an uprev map?

The uprev does sort out the throttle issues in 1st-3rd, but as the controller just increases the percentage of throttle position you can still use it to the same effect. I enjoyed mine when I had it.

I have one and (as it has already been said) eco5 is good for slow driving.

Sp7 makes the throttle very sensitive and basicallyy feels like you're flooring it when you just touch the peddle.

It doesn't actually change anything other than the sensitivity of the throttle pedal. So when it's in Eco mode you have to put you're foot down further to get the same effect.

If you have spare money it is a cool thing to have ;) and I do like mine :thumbs:

Sp7 makes the throttle very sensitive and basicallyy feels like you're flooring it when you just touch the peddle.

It doesn't actually change anything other than the sensitivity of the throttle pedal. So when it's in Eco mode you have to put you're foot down further to get the same effect.

If you have spare money it is a cool thing to have ;) and I do like mine :thumbs:

Have to agree....makes the standard sluggish throttle just that bit sharper. Have mine set on SP6 - which I reckon is the best setting. The controller also fits in the centre ashtray (so hidden from view) which is nice.

Have to agree....makes the standard sluggish throttle just that bit sharper. Have mine set on SP6 - which I reckon is the best setting. The controller also fits in the centre ashtray (so hidden from view) which is nice.

Or centre cubby with defi control box if you have that ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd give a little update on this since I've "lived with it" for a few weeks now. I have to say, I absolutely love it. SP4 is where it's at. Makes the throttle response lovely and sharp but not undriveably so - that said you wouldn't let yer mum borrow the car with it left in SP4 like :p but for fast road driving and on the track I imagine it'd be superb if not essential.

Fuel economy remains the same as far as i can tell although I've seen improved fuel economy since having my alignment done with zero toe front and rear - I've jumped from 27 to 30 mpg average on the same tyres, same route but with even more aggressive driving, so its a genuine hike in economy of at least 3mpg - nothing to do with the throttle controller though but worth noting if you're not straight and true in the wheel dept.

The ec5 mode is superb for use while the car is warming up and for reversing into tight spaces and garages as it calms things right down, but I'd not use it to try to achieve better economy. I had a little fun on the way to santa pod last weekend with an Aston Martin DB9. OK, he had longer legs than me and all that, but without the throttle controller set to SP7, I'd not have stood a chance keeping with him. As it was I got a thumbs up from the guy in the passenger seat after taking it in turns a couple times to overtake one another at high RPM. I can imagine the driver saying "thats not standard" when in actual fact, it pretty much is but for a £120 gadget sat between the loud pedal and ecu making a big difference that a foot could not make on its own (i've tried). B)