Protecting a finish

Ceejay29

I have recently purchased a set of extended steel wheel nuts, they are anodised red and look pretty cool in the box, will be interesting to see if they actually fit due to my hub conversions etc....but that is another story.

It is foreseeable that they will suffer marking as a socket will slide over them for installation. What can can I do to minimise this? I have been considering purchasing a clear coat lacquer to coat them with. DO you think this would work, and would there be a danger of a novice like myself, ruining the finish.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

I wouldn't even bother trying tbh. Careful use of the socket (and using a decent one too) will prevent as much damage as possible, but you should see them as disposable. If you put lacquer over them, there's a chance that the socket will not fit properly and you'll cause more damage trying to whack it on.

Another reason to not worry about posh nuts ;)

• Like 1

Possibly, but then you'd have resistance before turning the nut which would kill any torque calculations on your wrench I think. It'd always be springing back against itself to an extent, so your nuts would never end up tight enough so to speak.

Have a word with Brooklands350,

He has a soft socket set that he uses on Porsche and Ferrari.

He put some on mine last week and not a mark on them.

you would need to pm him as he does not come on here very often as its race season!

decent quality wheel nut socket but clean the inside before you use it, and keep it clean, any crud inside will mark the nuts.

I have a set like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BERGEN-7-Piece-Alloy-Wheel-Deep-Socket-Set-17mm-to-27mm-BER0888-/280854201056?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item41643702e0

not had much issue - except when the wheel nuts were done up to so tight they were starting to strip the threads!!!