You thought you looked after your car well!

rickya

Hey Derin. Love the merc.

This was a blast from the past and I must say I take my hat off to you for being a serious car nut.

I'm glad the joke comments made were taken the way they were intended!

I for one would be interested in looking at the cars you are doing as you do them if you have time to post up the links.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Stew!

Will do...but "I may be some time" (as someone once said!). The Merc is a bit of a nightmare as I'm sure you can see!

If you're really interested or even just seriously bored...or suffer with insomnia and just need something to help you sleep...then here are a couple of links to some "before and during" pictures of the black E28 M535i I did that you see the finished pics of on my website:

Before:

http://www.bmwclassics.co.uk/gallery/in ... =cc_before

During:

http://www.bmwclassics.co.uk/gallery/in ... =cc_during

Some of it ain't pretty! :lol:

Cheers Stew

Unfortunately, already staring down the wrong end of a £10,000 barrel in terms of body and paintwork on the SL.

'Thing is ...believe it or not...the car has already had just under £40K spent on it (with receipts) since 1985! :scare:

Still....on a more 'cheery' note...watch my website circa early Jan' 09 for hopefully a proper 'stunner' of an E34 BMW....540i V8....Yes, even E34s are now 'becoming' sought after!....Remember who told you first! :D That last one on my website (the Calpyso Red 525i) could have sold several times over!

p.s I know none of this is 350Z relevant...but sometimes it's just 'interesting' to swap thoughts etc , huh?

Cheers and Merry Xmas to all here! :thumbs:

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys

It's been a long time since I posted on here but thought some of you may enjoy an update. I think last time I was still on the Mercedes Pagoda SL?

Well, that project was finally completed about a year and a half ago. The final bodywork bill (and my place only charge reasonable rates) was £11,000. I think I then spent something like another £2.5-£3K to complete the rest (can't remember exactly anymore). Here you can see the final result and some of the work that was involved:

http://www.bmwclassics.co.uk/gallery/in ... des_Pagoda

Since then I've had a few other cars...basically everything on the left in the link below that is above the Pagoda.

I currently drive the black 190E Sportline chassis car as my daily driver (although it's currently away having a major engine overhaul).

The Metallic Beige looking one is (hopefully) being sold today as I have a chap coming to view this evening who has already put a deposit on it.

I still have both my 'garage queens' i.e the 840Ci Sport (HIW 393) and the E34 540i (the third from last non-M5 E34 Saloon ever made on the very last day of production)....both lower down on the same page:

http://www.bmwclassics.co.uk/gallery/index.php

Best wishes to all!

Derin

(p.s And I still don't watch TV...... :lol: )

Thanks Chaps!

The Pagoda was a very,very pretty thing but ultimately I was glad to see the back of it!

It caused many, many sleepless and fretful nights with the cost of it all. As soon as the word "Pagoda" is mentioned the price of parts goes through the roof!

Then once completed it was so 'valuable' I was actually too scared to drive it so there was little pleasure in it. Added to that they're really just not very nice to drive. There's no getting away from the fact that it was really half a century old technology. The handbook 'claimed' a top speed of 121 mph but you'd have to be an absolute lunatic with a death wish to attempt anywhere near that. Much above 70 mph and you have to start becoming VERY focused on your driving. Thus, by modern day standards, that made it a very slow car which coupled with being in a small, open-topped car, devoid of safety features made one feel very vulnerable indeed especially on fast moving modern A-Roads and Motorways surrounded by big lorries etc...

Anyway, it looks like I've sold this one tonight...a shame in a sense because this IS a bloody nice thing! But you can't keep'em all huh?

http://www.bmwclassics.co.uk/mercedes_w ... index.html

Cheers!