Interior trim wrapping - like Xmas all over again

scottyp

Right, dismantled my dash console last night in preperation for some wrapping - pics to follow if it goes as planned!

However... lookng at the console, (air con controls especially!) I'm wondering how to start to cover the curve of the panel?

Do I start in the middle and wrap down over the edges, or start on the side and stretch over to the other side? and how do I avoid the creasing of the film? (hairdryer?)

Any help or pointers welcome - if its any consolation I'm the same with my xmas presents, usually more tape than paper! :teeth:

Always start in the middle and work out. A heat gun will work wonders, I have one without a heat control, but I turn it on and just flick the gun over the wrap to warm it a touch.

You want a nice bit of stretch to follow the curves and keep creases out, but not so much that the vinyl will want to retract once it cools down. It will take a couple of goes, but it's not too difficult once you get the hang of it :)

I did mine as well...was a bit of a b*tch, but got there in the end!

Here's mine:

CarbonDash_zpsa6df3e8f.jpg

Start in the middle and wrap over the edges. The vinyl will stretch round the corners - heat is your friend here :thumbs:

How did you do yours around dials? Did u just cut it around the edge? I cut mine and it didn't go perfectly to the plan lol

What happens if your initial attempt is a failure? Is it easy to pull off and re-position? I am tempted but will probably make a pigs ear of it!

It is easy to peel off. As Dedman said, it's not too difficult, once you get the hang of it. I just used a hairdryer as my heat source and it worked fine. The gear/heater control surround is a good piece to get started with. It's easy to remove and the shape makes it a good piece to get some practice on.

One good thing about wrapping is it's not permaneny and easily reversible if it goes belly up. Make sure you're in a tolerant, patient mood before you start and if the wrap you're using is textured, expect sore thumbs by the time you've finished :lol:

• Like 1

What happens if your initial attempt is a failure? Is it easy to pull off and re-position? I am tempted but will probably make a pigs ear of it!

Yea, use heat gun/hair dryer to warm it up slightly, so glue melts a little bit, pull it off and try again! Can't do many "pull offs" tho

• Like 1

How did you do yours around dials? Did u just cut it around the edge? I cut mine and it didn't go perfectly to the plan lol

I assume you mean the 3 at the top? I removed the dials (they're screwed and plastic riveted) and then cut around the bottom part. There is a small 'lip' in the p[lastic that I followed with a stanley blade.

• Like 1

I assume you mean the 3 at the top? I removed the dials (they're screwed and plastic riveted) and then cut around the bottom part. There is a small 'lip' in the p[lastic that I followed with a stanley blade.

They look really smart too :thumbs:

• Like 1

Yea, them ones! I tried same...cutting around the edge of that lip...but didn't go to well...I suppose it was late, I was tired and patience and me not best friends haha will re-do it when I get time! Lol

• Like 1

Well, intake my hat off to those that have managed to wrap the console! Spent a few hours last night on the bottom section - and I have to say it looks like something a school kid knocked up for an end of term project :(

I think it's something to do with my big hands or lack of co-ordination, but may have to bite the bullet and fork out for the stick on covers...

Oh dear, but I'm afraid I did lol at your school end of term project analogy :lol:

Where are you located Scott? There might be someone local to you that's had a go at wrapping that might be able to give you a hand.

• 2 weeks later...

right - never one to be demoralised or give up i've got something new to try for the weekend!

Got some alcantara type adhesive film and going to try and cover some of the larger exspanses of the dash for a luxury GT feel B)

Pictures of me sobbing amongst sticky back plastic on monday! :teeth:

right - never one to be demoralised or give up i've got something new to try for the weekend!

Got some alcantara type adhesive film and going to try and cover some of the larger exspanses of the dash for a luxury GT feel B)

Pictures of me sobbing amongst sticky back plastic on monday! :teeth:

Hope its UV resistant, not like the stuff I got off eBay and used in my old 350z which faded in the sun :(

How did you find the Hexis when com paired the the Di-noc?

Im sure BM will be back but I'll chip in my 2p.

The texture effect on both is similar, I preferred the 3M stuff though. It seemed to me to be much sticker, hexxis stuff does stick don't get me wrong, but the 3M is (IMO) better for interior wrapping, deals with tight radius's and edges better.

On the outside of a car (or maybe larger internal pieces) the hexxis stuff is better however as its more easy to reposition and it does handle heat a little better than the 3M which in itself does a pretty good job.

horses for courses I think...