Replacing the clutch DIY....?

slimjim

Zed is sat in the garage at the mo, SORN, hiding from the weather. :blush:

I'm pretty sure the clutch is on the way out and I'm thinking of doing it myself.

Not saying I am great at this kind of DIY stuff but I consider myself OK. Would change discs/pads, even done a FWD drive shaft before now.

As she is in the garage and not being used, im cool to take my time (once the weather warms up!) rolling her in and out of the garage as and when I need to. Don't need her to drive anytime soon.

So, is it a massive job? Something I can do myself? Do I need custom/weird/expensive tools?

Should I just cough up and pay someone else to do it?

Cheers peeps! :teeth:

Not to bad to do. Never done one on the floor mind. Takes me about 4 hours to do, but that is my job and I have a ramp. All pretty much 12mm and 14mm bolts if i remember correctly. Only thing you'll need is a clutch alignment tool.

I have four decent axle stands and two decent trolley jacks.

So I should be able to take it up pretty high and have room to move.

Also have a friend who I think would be able to help.

A clutch alignment tool....? That sounds scary! :scare:

Edited by slimjim

Clutch alignment tool free with my Exedy Clutch kits and if you buy a fly you can have 2. ;)

You will manage this job fine Jim, however the box is a bit heavy so you will better get supping that porridge mate.

Just drop me a PM if I can help you further.

Alex. :)

• Like 1

DarrenB came down to me and we changed the clutch on his Zed in about 5-6 hours on axel stands - there are a couple of PITA to get to bolts at the top of the gearbox but we managed (17mm I think)

Clutch alignment tools are easy to use - I'm sure there will be a vid or 2 on YouTube to help.

the box is a 2 man lift - although I have put one back in on my own with a trolley jack and a lot of swearing :lol:

Get it done mate :thumbs:

• Like 1

I have done clutches in the past on axle stands but now that I'm 50, when it came to the 350z I paid a local clutch change shop £240 to do it for me on a Sat morning.

20 years ago no problem, and I am sure I would have managed it now, had I got a little less money and a little more time. :lol:

• Like 1

Wonderful... Thanks for all the help and info gents. :thumbs:

All sounds like it is do-able then.

Do I "need" to replace the fly too? Just seen the price of it! :scare:

I will admit that the revs tend to stay high when changing gear.

But selling her is still possibly on the cards, so I presume that the fly is an optional extra, as it doesn't "need" to be done?

Edited by slimjim

I'd love to have a go at this but I feel I'd end up having the car towed to a garage.

I'll stick to oil and filters at the moment.

Let us know how you get on when you do it. Also where are you, I could spectate/bench press the gear box?

Lol,

I'm in Norwich!

If you wait till the wales trip I'm sure there'll be loads of guys willing to pop in and help out :thumbs:

We could probably collectively lift the car up for you and hold it whilst you change it :)

Lol,

I'm in Norwich!

If you wait till the wales trip I'm sure there'll be loads of guys willing to pop in and help out :thumbs:

We could probably collectively lift the car up for you and hold it whilst you change it :)

HA HA HA .... We are properly JUST off the M54, 2 miles, if that. Would be ACE if everyone turned up and filled the street with Zed's.

I'm not booked in for the run this year but I highly recommend it. Had a great day when I went a couple of years ago.

Edited by slimjim