Polishing Advice

Dicky

Can anyone advise what I would need to buy in the way of an orbital polishing machine and accessories.

Typically

A decent make of polisher

What grades of cutting compound ( pre polishing stuff) if needed

What type of polish

Can anyone also advise how many times you can polish in this way before cutting through the existing lacquered layer.

Half watched a guy polishing a car on tv (don't remember which channel or details as we had company for the short time while this bit was on). He used fine wet and dry to initially remove orange peel and smooth the surface before using an orbital polishing m/c and different grades of cutting paste I believe before finishing off with polish.

Any advice appreciated

Trial and error, really.

I use a DAS 6 with some Menzerna pads and various polishes. I use Megs Ultimate Compound to cut with, followed by some Menzerna FF to get a glossy shine, and then some Blackfire AFPP which is simply amazing stuff.

Using the above products you cannot damage the paint at all, it's impossible (unless you throw the machine at the car!) however that does mean you may be unable to remove the bigger scratches. For removing the swirls, it's spot-on and I'd stake my reputation on that. There's loads of other polishes you could use that are probably better and a bit more hardcore than the Megs UC, but that little lot works for me and I've tried it across numerous paint types now. :)

I also use a DAS-6, but with these pads & polishes on my Z. The pads and polishes you choose will typically be determined by the paint (Nissan paint is typically soft, whereas BMW paint is typically hard and you always want to use the least cut possible that will get the job done) you're going to be using it on and personal preference.

There's a good guide to polishing here and here that's worth a read too.