Best cone filter

smudgedon

Too bad I just dropped a Pipercross filter in the stock system, going to have to try the Apexi cone air filter at some point. Only thing worrying me is the "fact" that people say you will decrease performance due to heat soak.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If you want guaranteed cold air then try a BMC CDA. Had one on my FTO. Helped get me some gain with. My other mods too, and its carbon so looks cool too ;)

i use a similiar system on the jag, love it, got it to give some kind of heat soak protection. but as smudge has a system and just wants the filter then i'd say apexi offer the best filter. its the same reason i used to sell the apexi panel filters.

Too bad I just dropped a Pipercross filter in the stock system, going to have to try the Apexi cone air filter at some point. Only thing worrying me is the "fact" that people say you will decrease performance due to heat soak.

"Heat Soak" seems to be very much overrated on this forum. I've had 5 or 6 different air filter styles other than standard across my 3 years of Z ownership, everything from an uprated panel filter (K&N) to at least 4 different types of cone filter (Japspeed cone[for about 2 weeks, don't murder me! :lol: ], BMC CDA, HKS Mushroom filter and an Apexi Cone) have I noticed any difference in any of them other than noise? Not really. Has heat soak been a huge engine killing problem? Haven't had any issues, not even at track days on hot summer afternoons. Personally I'd rather have good filtering than .5 of a horsepower extra.

• Like 2

"Heat Soak" seems to be very much overrated on this forum. I've had 5 or 6 different air filter styles other than standard across my 3 years of Z ownership, everything from an uprated panel filter (K&N) to at least 4 different types of cone filter (Japspeed cone[for about 2 weeks, don't murder me! :lol: ], BMC CDA, HKS Mushroom filter and an Apexi Cone) have I noticed any difference in any of them other than noise? Not really. Has heat soak been a huge engine killing problem? Haven't had any issues, not even at track days on hot summer afternoons. Personally I'd rather have good filtering than .5 of a horsepower extra.

What about dyno tests that show stock air filter box yields more power than the short ram air intakes?

I'm just curious, read a few threads about this on the yank forums.

Just my experience on an HR.

Took stock of and put short intake kit on and lost 15bhp on top end.

Got uprev had it mapped and we could not get AFR right.

Put stock system back and AFR was perfect? So there is a definite trade of.

And back on dyno gained on top end.

After uprev mapping car is hauling.

My advise is drop in filters over stock.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

What about dyno tests that show stock air filter box yields more power than the short ram air intakes?

I'm just curious, read a few threads about this on the yank forums.

I've never had mine dyno'd to compare the results so I couldn't comment on it. Unfortunately, as much as I'd love it to change, I don't have a dyno in my behind :lol: Would be very helpful though!

At the end of the day, dyno figures will tell the truth. I haven't felt a difference, but I could be wrong :)

I may be wrong, but don't our resident tuners suggest that the stock box with a drop in shows more gains than both CAI or short ram? That would go against what that link is saying.

If you read the link carefully you would notice that they had a small disclaimer noting they did the dyno run for the CAI with front bumper off and fans blowing at the front of the vehicle. I would love to see some numbers with the bumper in place.

Still, I believe the stock air box is the better of all 3 since CAI increases the intake piping, thus dropping the intake pressure.

the difference between the 2 etc with uprev is so tiny you wouldn;t notice, its mostly about pub bragging rights and getting the highest number on a dyno sheet. 15bhp is like the difference between not eating for a couple of days and having a large roast dinner beofre going out in the car.

yes you might sacrifice a little bhp for a cone filter if its in the engine bay, but once the car is moving there is more than enough air entering to keep it cool.

I'd rather have a little noise and drama and sacrifice a couple of ponies, than rince everything out of the car just so i can say i have 302 bhp instead of 298.

On the XKR i'm using a RAM air carbon box and filter. (still need to cut a hole into the wheel arch to get direct cold air feed.) i did it becuase it looks nicer in the engine bay than the old sun bleached box i had, its carbon, and it makes a bit more induction noise which is fun. i suppose the advantage is i have well over 400bhp so i'm not bothered about rinsing everything for pub top trumps,

• Like 1

To each his own :)

very true;

horse for courses and all that.

If people want to go the panel route i'd reccomend fly boys velocity stack mod if you have a DE engine. complements the build well and helps maximise BHP gains on a dyno.

Awesome find. :thumbs:

Just my experience on an HR.

Took stock of and put short intake kit on and lost 15bhp on top end.

Got uprev had it mapped and we could not get AFR right.

Put stock system back and AFR was perfect? So there is a definite trade of.

And back on dyno gained on top end.

After uprev mapping car is hauling.

My advise is drop in filters over stock.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

thats a relief, thought id have to spend hundreds on filters but as ive learned, i can still run on my k&n pannels and just get the lil beastie mapped