Modifying the K&N typhoon to take an APexi Cone

rtbiscuit

I have been planning this for ages had the parts for a while but not got round to doing the job, thought i'd share it so that others could do it, or at least know what size the parts are if you want to do something different

Parts:-

APEXI cone filter (from another member on here)

APEXI Neck adapter (off ebay, i have one going spare as i got 2)

3" Silicone hose section (off ebay)

4 M6 x 20mm socket caps

2 3"-5" jubilee clips (have loads of these in my garage as i bought a job lot for a previous car project on the MR2)

home made cardboard gasket just to help with sealing beween parts

P1010228.jpg

P1010229.jpg

P1010230.jpg

P1010231.jpg

P1010232.jpg

P1010233.jpg

here are the parts all assembled

P1010234.jpg

P1010235.jpg

you can see the difference in cones with the typhoon and apexi side by side

P1010236.jpg

and here they are fitted

P1010237.jpg

P1010238.jpg

the reason i did this is that the apexi is a dry filter instead of oiled, which i prefer, and the apexi gives possibly some of the best filtration and breathability on the market. i know at the end of the day this will make very little difference to overall power but i wanted to be different :p and for piece of mind this is what i'd prefer to run

how big was the dose so she wouldn't notice you doing this in the kitchen?

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

she doesn't know :ninja:

as for the cardboard gasket, there doesn't need to be one, i just put it there for extra pieco of mind, it just fills up any possible gaps. if it was a low down bumper mounted on i might be more concerned. but its mounted in the engine bay.

but the cardboard will draw moisture into the intake behind the cone wont it... make a rubber one you lazy bar steward

shouldn't do, as it doesn't stick out into the hose area, i used a very thin card, so to be honest its hardly there

Using the pie phone at the moment so can't really post links at the moment. But it's cone design makes maximum use of the filter, it also incorporates a velocity stack like the jet does. It's a smaller filter but shod flow better than the k&n filter. Only difference is it isn't washable really. So after a while it will be a throw away and buy fresh one. But I'd rather do that than risk oil on the maf.

Another alternative is like fiddy; and that is to use a JWT filter. But you'd need to speak to fiddy on how he modified it to fit. I can't remember how the connection end looks on it.

As for pronouncing apexi, i think it's like said apexy

used to run an Apexi filter on my last car and have nothing but good things to say about them. there is a comparison about it is a bit out of date now but the Apexi does come out on top. I used to get mine off ebay for about 40 quid I think they even do a chrome version!

nath.

Hasnt the whole oil on the MAF myth died yet? I saw a vid from K&N once where they dunk a MAF in filter oil and it still worked afterwards. They also showed that at typical speeds you cant pull the oil from the filter, even at some silly speeds. I am sceptical about both sides of the arguement, but I've never heard of a MAF actually being proven failed due to over oiling.

At the end of the day, if Apexi floats ya boat, they are all about the same, doesnt really matter, but dont let over oiling put you off using K&N or similar cotton filters.

Yeah, its all a personal preference. All (reputable) filters on the market will do their job and flow plenty more than an NA car will need. I just always get narked when I see people cacking it about reoiling filters. As long as you follow the instructions, its not going to be a problem. If it was all true, K&N wouldnt still be going ;)