Gearknob - metal 'washer'

downhuman

Chaps

Driving home there was an annoying rattling coming from my gearknob (nismo carbon)

Removed it and the metal 'washer' (thick - with a tapered end) is rattling around for some reason

I've removed it and screwed the knob back on and seems ok - is that spacer thing necessary and if so, what does it do?

Cheers

Rob

• 2 months later...

Hey trying to remove the oem knob its turn anti-clockwise? Correct? Its one stiff knob cant seem to budge it..issit really necessary to put a clamp on the bottom of shaft? Will i damage anything if i twist it too hard cause the shifter feels like its twisting!? Oh also issit better to have it in/out of gear to remove?

Saskhi

Yes, you need to hold the gear lever shaft itself to avoid damaging the rubber bush type retainer lower down. The knob itself does seem to have been loctited on from the factory so quite some force is required if it hasn't been off before. And yes anticlockwise.

Hey trying to remove the oem knob its turn anti-clockwise? Correct? Its one stiff knob cant seem to budge it..issit really necessary to put a clamp on the bottom of shaft? Will i damage anything if i twist it too hard cause the shifter feels like its twisting!? Oh also issit better to have it in/out of gear to remove?

Saskhi

Yes, twist too hard without clamping the bottom and you'll potentially do damage.

Although I've never seen any mention of being in neutral in a guide, I'd imagine this is the best place, just an educated guess.

From memory, anticlockwise.

I put a rubber o-ring under the metal spacer and left it in, means it doesn't rattle and you don't lose it.

Perfect!!

I gave up earlier! They must of put some amount of loctite on it jeez! didnt even turn one bit only the shaft turned a lil but sprung back into place when i let go! :surrender: il get some grips tomorrow and try again...thought id do it while waiting for the missus, my face was purple from straining and out of breathe, she said 'what the hell have you been doing?' I replied "Just trying to rip my knob off.." She looked at me as if i was crazy :lol:

Get a cloth and wrap the bottom of the shaft and clamp it with molegrips.

Then use another cloth round the centre of the gear knob and use swan necks.

Then give a few grunts and it will loosen.

I always use this meathod on a 350 and got the info off the forum.

However if it is a 370 you could mash itnto bits.

Unlike the 350 which is a weighted heavy strong gear knob, the 370

Is not.

At one of the Croydon meets I was changing over Sparkies for a Nismo one and it litterally

caved in as soon as appliedvgrip preasure with the swan necks.

Locktight! more like wealded on!!

Get a cloth and wrap the bottom of the shaft and clamp it with molegrips.

Then use another cloth round the centre of the gear knob and use swan necks.

Then give a few grunts and it will loosen.

I always use this meathod on a 350 and got the info off the forum.

However if it is a 370 you could mash itnto bits.

Unlike the 350 which is a weighted heavy strong gear knob, the 370

Is not.

At one of the Croydon meets I was changing over Sparkies for a Nismo one and it litterally

caved in as soon as appliedvgrip preasure with the swan necks.

Locktight! more like wealded on!!

Haha ok plenty of advice here cant sleep thought of doing it now at 3am but people would probably think im trying to steal the car lol