Differential

Dave-350

These 1/1/5/2/3 way things generally only apply to mechanical diffs, viscous diffs dont "lock" as such, they just transfer torque so dont really fall into any of the above.

For reference a 1 way will lock on acceleration only, 1.5 acceleration and heavy braking, 2 way acceleration and braking and you might hear 3 way too, which is a welder thats locked permanently :)

Aye, Z33 is a viscous unit, but a pretty good one IMO or at least my (also import) one is, its decent enough to use at a DWYB IMO anyway, I spent an enjoyable afternoon last year drifting round Blyton without too much trouble :)

A decent 2 way will be much better but will be at least £350/400 secondhand, it will also make the back end a lot noisier. Id start with the standard diff and see if it holds you back, make the decision then :)

• Like 1

Aye, Z33 is a viscous unit, but a pretty good one IMO or at least my (also import) one is, its decent enough to use at a DWYB IMO anyway, I spent an enjoyable afternoon last year drifting round Blyton without too much trouble :)

A decent 2 way will be much better but will be at least £350/400 secondhand, it will also make the back end a lot noisier. Id start with the standard diff and see if it holds you back, make the decision then :)

Excellent. Thanks for that mate.

I'll be honest, I'm not really that fussed about drifting but I wouldn't want to turn up and look like a right tit if I was trying to do it with an open diff or something lol.

• 5 months later...

Hi Folks

Just checking about how to tell if my diff is lsd or not. I have put rear of car on axle stands and rotated wheel and opposite side rotates in the same direction. Am i right in saying that I have an LSD ( its a JDM so assume its viscous type) and conversely if it rotated contra to the side i turned it has no LSD?

Looking forward to comments please!

JohnUKVetteNut

I have upgraded my VLSD to a 1.5way cusco LSD. It still engaged smoothy and has had annual synthetic diff oil change since I got the car. After a curious check inside and full exterior shot blast and high temp paint and upgrade urethane bushes its in very good condition to upgrade a zed with open diff. It's been up for sale at £350 but sale fallen through so it can find a new home for £200 rather than seat in my garage. For an extra £50 I can get it installed locally so you drive away smiling.

So anyone considering this feel free to contact me or look at my FS trade for pics.

Correct!!

Hi Folks

Just checking about how to tell if my diff is lsd or not. I have put rear of car on axle stands and rotated wheel and opposite side rotates in the same direction. Am i right in saying that I have an LSD ( its a JDM so assume its viscous type) and conversely if it rotated contra to the side i turned it has no LSD?

Looking forward to comments please!

JohnUKVetteNut

I have upgraded my VLSD to a 1.5way cusco LSD. It still engaged smoothy and has had annual synthetic diff oil change since I got the car. After a curious check inside and full exterior shot blast and high temp paint and upgrade urethane bushes its in very good condition to upgrade a zed with open diff. It's been up for sale at £350 but sale fallen through so it can find a new home for £200 rather than seat in my garage. For an extra £50 I can get it installed locally so you drive away smiling.

So anyone considering this feel free to contact me or look at my FS trade for pics.

Oh my! If only I wasn't broke I'd snap your arm off for this! :lol: GLWTS

Matt i think me and you have jumped a gun Hes selling the OEM lsd NOT the cusco item :(

Correct but the cusco can be sold for the right price including the diff housing and half shaft for a plug and play installation. Not in a hurry to sell. I'm taking the zed probably of the road next year as a sole track car and to try my hand in DWYB so would be going for a 2way LSD.

Matt i think me and you have jumped a gun Hes selling the OEM lsd NOT the cusco item :(

Oh :( I was reading it on the bus and clearly didn't read it properly :lol:

Maybe the price should have been the clue it was the standard one :doh:

HAHA i got all excited to as its payday today o well VLSD skids it is then

HAHA i got all excited to as its payday today o well VLSD skids it is then

Keep off the drugs man ;)