My brother where art thou??

Zedrush

Okay my brother is doing my head in lately. He is in the process of selling both his cars:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/151668.htm

and his run around car:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/151650.htm

He has just sold one of 3 houses and made quite a bit, but most of that will go back into property...

He is bored of everything and now is looking at a new car. He loves fast cars and loves subtlety and he cant decide what car to get. He wants a car he can mod a little and get some serious speed, he cant decide between the following, and his reasons why are given:

Cayman S (do I really want to spend this much plus more on modding, no subtlety everybody will expect it too be quick, I could get something faster for cheaper, but card does hold its value, but for a bit more could get a 2nd hand 911 turbo, but same thing again)

R34 (do I really want a car that is quite old, and also new version coming out soon but prob be overpriced for what you get)

S2000 (supercharged might be nice but but hairdressers car and not really my style)

M12 Noble (surprisingly quick but servicing cost is a joke and out of principle is a waste)

Audi RS4 (fuel a joke and for what you pay there is faster)

Audi S3 (35k there must be something better than this)

Mazda RX7 (not bad after 70,000 mile need new engine rebuild but could keep my runaround car and use this on weekend. But too old a car)

Supra (everything that can be done has been done, too old)

350z (has alot of potential but not sure if it cuts it with the other choices.would not spend 20k doing up this car as did that with the Saab and all that is now wasted on the resale)

My brother winds me up because one week he says he wants a 350z gets me to look into it then changes his mind. He has got a bit of money saved but dont want to waste it on silly things like overpriced servicing if you catch what I mean.

Can anyone advise me what I could tell him to get, and perhaps pursuade him to get 350z. he does like them but he wants something that is quick worth its money, holds its value, something he will enjoy... hes a fussy bastard. :headhurt:

Let us know your views :thumbs:

These are my thoughts...

I think the 350z DOES cut it with most of the other cars especially the Supra, S3, RX7, S2000 and to a certain extent R34 and Cayman S. I'm sure Liam will tell you that after following the 500bhp Skyline through bala.

The selection above are tottally different cars (hatch, coupe, 4 door saloon etc..) and it would be really up to him to test drive them and see which is best suited to him. I don't think its all about speed which is the impression i get from the above, i'd want something that excites you everytime you get in which i don't think you'll get from a S3 maybe if it was modded alittle. Anyway,,,

Cayman S - Quality car, will hold value very well, a few modded ones about that are as fast as a 911 turbo. Slightly expensive if your modding?

R34 - Big bills if anything goes wrong but fast standard, and can be made to go like S**t off a shovel.

S2000 - Need a turbo or Supercharger to get any real power gains, in similar boat to 350z really. Will hold value quite well, and voted the best used car 2 years in a row.

M12 Noble - I'd only get this if i was throwing money away. Great car but huge bills from what i've read. Not something i'd like to drive in daily, but super quick.

RS4 - awesome car, will do everything you need of it and won't break being German. Residuals very good. Do you need much faster? Great a-b car. Naturally aspirated so will need turbo/supercharger if you want more power. Single figure mpg when pushing.

S3 - Would be a sleeper similar to the Saab. Very easy to mod. Just check out http://www.amdtechnik.com/ I'm sure they'll have some good stuff for it soon. Expensive to buy though compared to others on this list. Will hold value quite well. Boreing to drive?

RX7 - Still looks good today as it did on its debut. Running costs will be high. Can be tuned to over 600bhp though. Abit old me thinks.

Supra - Again Looks great, especially some modded ones. Big power again. Showing signs of age?

350z - Can be had for 15k now, bang a turbo on all for less money than the S3 and your flying. Looks stunning standard, and looks even better modded. Running Costs will be reasonable compared to some others on the list too.

My top three in no particular order would be:

350z

Cayman S

RS4

Anyway, modding will very rarely gain you money and quite often lose you money. So whichever car he mods, i doubt he will get it back on the resale.

These are my thoughts...

I think the 350z DOES cut it with most of the other cars especially the Supra, S3, RX7, S2000 and to a certain extent R34 and Cayman S. I'm sure Liam will tell you that after following the 500bhp Skyline through bala.

The selection above are tottally different cars (hatch, coupe, 4 door saloon etc..) and it would be really up to him to test drive them and see which is best suited to him. I don't think its all about speed which is the impression i get from the above, i'd want something that excites you everytime you get in which i don't think you'll get from a S3 maybe if it was modded alittle. Anyway,,,

Cayman S - Quality car, will hold value very well, a few modded ones about that are as fast as a 911 turbo. Slightly expensive if your modding?

R34 - Big bills if anything goes wrong but fast standard, and can be made to go like S**t off a shovel.

S2000 - Need a turbo or Supercharger to get any real power gains, in similar boat to 350z really. Will hold value quite well, and voted the best used car 2 years in a row.

M12 Noble - I'd only get this if i was throwing money away. Great car but huge bills from what i've read. Not something i'd like to drive in daily, but super quick.

RS4 - awesome car, will do everything you need of it and won't break being German. Residuals very good. Do you need much faster? Great a-b car. Naturally aspirated so will need turbo/supercharger if you want more power. Single figure mpg when pushing.

S3 - Would be a sleeper similar to the Saab. Very easy to mod. Just check out http://www.amdtechnik.com/ I'm sure they'll have some good stuff for it soon. Expensive to buy though compared to others on this list. Will hold value quite well. Boreing to drive?

RX7 - Still looks good today as it did on its debut. Running costs will be high. Can be tuned to over 600bhp though. Abit old me thinks.

Supra - Again Looks great, especially some modded ones. Big power again. Showing signs of age?

350z - Can be had for 15k now, bang a turbo on all for less money than the S3 and your flying. Looks stunning standard, and looks even better modded. Running Costs will be reasonable compared to some others on the list too.

My top three in no particular order would be:

350z

Cayman S

RS4

Anyway, modding will very rarely gain you money and quite often lose you money. So whichever car he mods, i doubt he will get it back on the resale.

Cheers for that some good points made just hope he gets a 350z then I can nick some parts when it comes to modding... what nismo exhaust aint seen it bro honest :lol:

and yes Lou made spelling mistake on Nurburg ring.. thanks for pointing out git ;)

Monaro VXR 500 ? ? £35k new (or was) Can be made to go even faster. Service costs apparently the same as a Vectra. Likes a drink though at 17 MPG, but apparently can be improved by 3 MPG by adding the Wortec Exhaust system...although that costs about £1800.

Monaro VXR 500 ? ? £35k new (or was) Can be made to go even faster. Service costs apparently the same as a Vectra. Likes a drink though at 17 MPG, but apparently can be improved by 3 MPG by adding the Wortec Exhaust system...although that costs about £1800.

35k for a Vauxall Badge car??

2004 Jag XKR?

Range Roversport?

BMW 6 series?

TVR Sagaris? - yeah ok not an everyday car

Audi Q7?

Ferrari 550?

Corvette C6?

Lol he just looked at that list and went GAY!

He said he want track day and everyday, coupe fast but not to expensive and not over the top on petrol.. I think 350z is his best option, in a non biased opinion. :blush:

Its gotta be a litchfields type 25 then. 40K, one of the fastest a to b cars, 4 doors, reliable and you can throw whatever luggage you have in it.

415bhp @ 6,500rpm (400bhp from 5,800rpm − 7,000rpm)

570Nm / 420lbft @ 3,800rpm (300lbft from 3,000rpm)

8,000rpm Redline

304bhp/ton

0−60mph in 3.7sec

0−100mph in 8.7sec

157mph limited top speed (175mph gearing, taller gearing also under review)

http://www.type-25.com/index.asp#1

Vid:

If you look about you maybe able to pick up a used example thats taken the intial new car depreciation.

Obviously a modded 350z would be a smart choice. ;)

Considering he used a SAAB (Vectra in Drag?) as the base of his racer, I assume he is not allergic to odd vehicle choices...

1. Lamborghini Diablo (Original 2WD model maybe, pre-AUDI Era)

2. Classic Ferrari, 240Z, 280Z, etc. ( if he's happy to invest time and money)

3. Top notch original looking M3 E30 ( otherwise it is a bit chavvy )

4. Honda NSX ( unique, technologically still miles ahead of many current models, different... but not so tuneable)

5. AND Of course ... 350Z... probably one of the best bases for expensive mods...( award winning engine with plenty of capability..., proven handling, solid reliability ( apart from fiddly niggly little concerns...)

1. Lamborghini Diablo (Original 2WD model maybe, pre-AUDI Era)

2. Classic Ferrari, 240Z, 280Z, etc. ( if he's happy to invest time and money)

He said he want track day and everyday, coupe fast but not to expensive and not over the top on petrol..

:wacko:

Its gotta be a litchfields type 25 then. 40K, one of the fastest a to b cars, 4 doors, reliable and you can throw whatever luggage you have in it.

415bhp @ 6,500rpm (400bhp from 5,800rpm − 7,000rpm)

570Nm / 420lbft @ 3,800rpm (300lbft from 3,000rpm)

8,000rpm Redline

304bhp/ton

0−60mph in 3.7sec

0−100mph in 8.7sec

157mph limited top speed (175mph gearing, taller gearing also under review)

http://www.type-25.com/index.asp#1

Vid:

If you look about you maybe able to pick up a used example thats taken the intial new car depreciation.

Great engive, amazing performance, but still a crappy old scooby

Yeh I think scooby is chav but will show him it. Plus they need service every 7000miles. M3 around my area are for plastic gangsters. I think 350z is his best option get it, nismo kit it, and then the supercharge and then he will have an impressive car. Otherwise I think he is looking for something he will never ever find.

With that money, me personally if I had his ambition, I would get two cars one for track, like an atom :teeth: and one for run around like keeping the audi A3 :yawn: