Removing 'Carbon' Wrap

Fraktion

Hello all.

My recent Z purchase came with a bonnet, roof and boot 'wrap' job...which leaves a lot to be desired. I think it's carbon 'effect' as you don't get the little diamonds left when you try to pull it off. It's more a vinyl.

Any tips how to safely remove it? I hear a hot gun will do the job. Any risk of paintwork coming off? What's the best way to get rid of the glue underneath once off?

I'd like to leave the roof job on but take off the bonnet and boot gubbins. It's only been on for 5 odd weeks.

Heatgun it's a must! Just find an indoor heated place and slowly heat up the part you want to remove step by step. Take someone with you to hold the heatgun and warm up the area while you slowly peel. Carbon wrap is more delicate to remove... Then try to clean what remains with a stain removal solvent made expecially to clean the car paint. You can go ask at a dealer for the solvent they use to remove the protective wax form the new cars.

Edited by catamahu

isoproponal panel wipes are what bodyshops use prior toainting to decontaminate and clean a car.

This is correct ;)

I removed my old wrap at the weekend with a hot air gun. Obviously they all differ in power but i had mine on about 50% heat, just enough the get the vinyl warm. It still took me about 45 mins to get it all off as the vinyl has to be warm, but once its warn is stretches so you have to be carefull not to tear it! lol

Aslong as you arent holding the gun in 1 place you wont hurt the paint, but it wouldnt take a lot of heat to cause damage, just keep it moving.