Off Topic: Overseas Wedding Help!

marzman

Hey all...

The missus and i are planning on getting married this year on our 10-year anniversary (July).

We don't want to get married in this country for various reasons so would like an overseas wedding, and we're thinking the Caribbean... but i dont know where to start!

Neither of us are interested in having a traditional wedding... it will just be the two of us and we see it as just something that will take an afternoon out of our holiday, rather than being a wedding holiday if you know what i mean?

So does anyone have any experience in arranging an overseas wedding at all? I've had a bit of a google and there seems to be lots of wedding concierge services offering to help you though the process, but i dont know who to trust or what to expect of them etc.

My specific requirements are as follows:

2-Weeks in the Caribbean in July, at an All Inclusive Resort

Small simple wedding at the hotel, preferably on the beach

All paperwork/documentation/legal processes taken care of by someone else

Aiming to spend around £4k really... less if possible but could go up to £5k.

Any help will be much appreciated!!

Would it leave her........all shook up aahhhuuhhhh :blush::lol: sorry couldnt help it.

I can totally understand why you would want to get married abroad. I never fancied it until I actually got involved in the planning of laura and I's wedding. So much money and stress............ pah... Kick back in the Caribbean with a rum and just enjoy each others company. Sounds good to me.

All the best mate.

• Like 1

Hi Chris, got married in Cyprus at a Registry Office at the Town Hall, just the two of us no fuss, even had to rope in a worker there as the witness. :lol: Wouldn't change anything if we did it again.

Worth finding out with the Embassy of which ever country you want to get married in, what the requirements are paperwork wise etc.

My sister got married in Cuba at a Sandals resort and they sorted out all the paperwork for them, the ceremony and of course provided a translator. I have to say I'm not sure how much it cost, but they were out there for 2 weeks as part of it. Us guests paid our own way, which was around £1100 ea for the week though.

I do know they had some issues with the paperwork once they got back to the UK with regards actually being legally married, so that might be something to watch out for, but as far as i know it was sorted pretty quickly

First off, the wedding cert wont be official and valid in the UK. You will still need to do the registration here to be declared a married couple. Or if you do manage to get a marriage cert from another country, you can have it translated by a solicitor before declaring it in the UK.

From what you want, have you considered places like Cuba or Dominca? I went with my mrs to Dominica republic Puerto Plata Hotel.

You can get an all inclusive 1 week holiday in a 4/5 star hotel all inclusive for around £800-£1200 each during mid season. Let them know its your honeymoon and you mite get a free upgrade in your room.

You can simply ask the hotel to arrange a beech wedding for a few hundred pounds. Remember the USD goes a long way in those countries so the staff are always more than happy to do the extra bit for a tip.

For your budget it should be easy. Just don't arrange it here but ask the hotel to help you arrange it when you are over there and they'll get the locals to arrange the event to your requirement.

Edited by RT-Performance

I'm getting married in Croatia next year and we have gone through a native wedding planing company. They have been a great help the arrange everything and cater EVERYTHING to your needs.

Can't fault them brilliant service and not costing the earth for what you get. although it is scary paying deposits in advance to a foreign country and people you haven't met. But we are flying out next month to double check everything in advance with free accommodation.

Long story short IMO use a planner it's much easier or the hotel you choose can probably arrange most of it for you.

El Dorado Royale - Rivieria Maya - Mexico

Look this place all inclusive resort up - a lot of honeymooners go here and a few couples got married and had reception when I went. Heaven on earth!

Only thing is, it's adults only so if you have nippers then it is a no go!

We did just what you're thinking of in Galley Bay Antigua 10 years ago and it was utterly painless. And as the island is a recognised British Colony, it's all legal in the UK too.

The hotel had a member of staff who helped you along, and basically the process involves arriving on the island a certain number of days before the event and having an 'interview' with the Registrar to prove you are both legally able to marry i.e. divorce decrees, birth certificates, passports... Once that's all checked out, it's time for The Day.

The hotel will also organise (if wanted) a cake, flowers (our room was decorated from to to bottom on the day), musicians et al.

You'll need a couple of witnesses on the day, but you can find them at the hotel - we've been asked before now.

Most hotels on the island have a dedicated wedding gazebo - the one at Blue Waters is on the end of a promontory out into the Caribbean. We got married right by the beach and the photos all have the sea in the close background or were taken on the beach.

Trouble is, where we went is likely to blow your budget... but don't be afraid to go directly to the hotels and ask for room rack rates, we find it's much cheaper to do that and book our own flights than buying a package.

I hope you manage to sort something out to make it a memorable time.

TimFF