Leather seat cleaning

MAB

Hi all,

I have been told that baby wipes are ideal for cleaning the leather interior of my GT, but another friend who is an upholsterer has said that this would ruin the natural oils in the leather. What do the wise and wonderful think?

Cheers

Mark

I have some autoglym leather restore and care stuff.

I also bought some stuff from the ideal home show that is a propper leather feed and preserve - that is for use on leather furniture, but works great on car upholstery too.

The Autoglym stuff I use is this: £5.99 from Halfrauds.

00003051.jpg

I also use the stuff above as its quality, however before applying it I wipe the leather down with these new leather cleaning wipes you can buy or in my case steal from my Mum :teeth:

Then apply the auto glym and it replenishes the leather...Best to use often in the summer with the heat in the car constantly making the seats hot.

DAve

• 1 month later...

The problem with 'clean and feed' products is one part is designed to remove oily stains and grease, the other is designed to add lanolin and suitable oils - so one product cannot perform a best of breed function for both aspects. It is going to be a compromise.

I would recommend a kit of 2 products, and the Race Glaze Leather Care Kit at £19.99 contains 2 separate gentle products plus brush and applicator whihc all works a treat on my cream leather seats. I cleanse annually, feed twice a year. See www.raceglaze.co.uk

Separate Autoglym Leather Cleaner & Leather Care Cream. Both can be bought in Halfrauds.

I clean mine & especially get the care cream on them as much as possible.

I think your mate is right - baby oil will ruin the natural oils in the leather. It will look nice for a little bit granted as the oil will all sit on the surface but ultimately you'll end up with dry & cracked leather I'd almost guarantee it.

• 3 years later...
I have some autoglym leather restore and care stuff.

I also bought some stuff from the ideal home show that is a propper leather feed and preserve - that is for use on leather furniture, but works great on car upholstery too.

The Autoglym stuff I use is this: £5.99 from Halfrauds.

00003051.jpg

I will try to use this one.