Engine cover

Harryjax

I've just acquired an engine cover.

I've seen other forum members have painted or wrapped theirs.

I just want ideals and advise on what and how to do it. I only paid a £10 for it so this is going to be my first little project. "Don't laugh" we all have to start somewhere.

Cheap option would be to wet and dry, prime and spray paint with high temp paint ? :shrug:

Few people I've seen done that with good results

I wouldn't try CF wrapping it best bet to buy the real thing

Or get it dipped :)

Dipped? Not sure what that is.

Is it one like this?

b5ruc7.jpg

Difficulty with that cover is it isn't all smooth. the textured bits around the nissan and V6 badge would look terrible dipped, so you would either need to mask them off or fill them before spraying; which would bring in a whole load of prep.

You could do just the white bits, and mask the rest off, or do that in reverse do everything but the white bits in carbon, and then possibly introduce a differnet colour on the white, either to match the car, or introduce a new colour theme for the car.

If it was me doing a pet project and not dipping it, i would remove the badges (to be refitted later) fill all the textured stuff in the middle. sand it smooth (including the rest of the cover as it has a plastic texture at a guess) paint the grey plastics a nice dark colour, either a nice metallic black or a black and colour/metallic mix and then paint the white bits a nice metallic theme colour. clear coat the lot, and then refit the badges.

Yes that it.

I think I will fill rub and paint it to match the b pillar covers. I'm going to try this. Got to start somewhere. What's the worse that could happen.

(Don't answer that).

Thanks for your expert advice Rich.

if your painting, make sure to use a plastic primer, so it will flex with the plastic, if you don;t you'll get cracks.

thin layers buitl up over time,

laquering is an art form

use you tube to watch some videos for practicing. an dget something else to practice on first.

• 6 months later...