GEARBOX QUESTION ? Sixth Gear CRUNCH !

JEMAN

Hi All !

My 2003 Z has a slight grunch going into second when cold and is OK when warmed up, but more worrying is that when going into sixth gear, even after an hours drive it really does CRUNCH ! ever time going into sixth. Its now got to the point that i dont use sixth gear :( Any ideas ? The car has only done 42K.

Cheers

Mark

Mark,

Sounds like a 6th gear syncro issue, so a new syncro will be required so box out and strip I am afraid.

You can try fresh fluid and some DC Moly transmission additive which may help the issue all of which are in stock and good to go same/next day.

Also preowned low mileage gearboxes are in stock which are free from all faults.

Drop me a PM if I can help you further mate.

Alex. :)

Definitely try out fluids first, hopefully that'll just be the issue.

My old MR2 hated one (highly rated) brand, and was fine on it's competitor, I think the 350 is the same, get genuine nissan oil in there and some MS if needs be.

Good luck, and report back.

FINGERS CROSSED ! I hope the gearbox oil/grease will sort it out. The car is soooooo nice & out of all my years driving with various quality cars Jag Xtype (V6), Alfas (V6) Rover(V8)............the SMILE PER MILE factory is back :)

The CD009 gearbox fitted to the 350Z is an improvement over the original box, however they still have issues.

The 370 gearbox is also troublesome.

For a 350 low mileage, known source, fault free early gearbox, guaranteed for 3 months I charge £500.00 and £750.00 for a similar CD009.

• Like 1

Hi All !

My 2003 Z has a slight grunch going into second when cold and is OK when warmed up, but more worrying is that when going into sixth gear, even after an hours drive it really does CRUNCH ! ever time going into sixth. Its now got to the point that i dont use sixth gear :( Any ideas ? The car has only done 42K.

Cheers

Mark

My car was exactly the same as this difficulty getting into 2nd and a nasty crunch going into 6th at about 43k miles. Clutch and flywheel was also shot and was replaced. Abbey Motorsport fitted a reconditioned 2006 gear box and it is much smoother than my 2004 box ever was in all gears. Makes more of a whining noise though but worth doing as it has changed the driving experience immensely.

Either get a second hand box or get a rebuilt one would be my advice as it's well worth it. If your biting point is very high and/or you get poor or noisy clutch engagement or judder, I would recommend a clutch and flywheel replacement at the same time as it makes a world of difference.

The CD009 gearbox fitted to the 350Z is an improvement over the original box, however they still have issues.

The 370 gearbox is also troublesome.

For a 350 low mileage, known source, fault free early gearbox, guaranteed for 3 months I charge £500.00 and £750.00 for a similar CD009.

Thats a good price. CD009, have you tested them or are they bought out of a car?