Road Trip to Italy

HaydnH

Hi All,

I have a friends wedding in Cison di Valmarino, Treviso, Italy in July and I'm thinking of driving down. Can anyone recommend some nice roads that aren't too far out of the way, Stelvio Pass is an obvious choice although it would add 4 hours on to the journey. Using the following 3 location in goiogle maps should give you an idea of the unplanned route:

a: London

b: Stelvio Pass, Santa Maria Val Müstair, Switzerland

c: Cison di Valmarino, Treviso, Italy

Perhaps there are some nice roads that are worth missing Stelvio Pass for to avoid adding 4 hours to the journey?

Haydn.

Stelvio will be quite busy in July according to friends who have gone, but there's plenty more passes around the area that would make equally if not better driving roads.

Your route is this so far, yes?

As I say, the route's unplanned... but yes that's the start point (London) and end point (Treviso). If you remove Stelvio Pass as a mid point the auto-route journey takes you around Switzerland to the South West which apparently saves 4 hours, so that could be an option freeing up 4 hours to find nice roads around that way instead.

Haydn.

So here's my planned route so far for the way there, do you think I'm being a bit ambitious? Should I split it over 3 days? Does anyone have any experience driving through the Swiss roads - if Google maps says it's likely to take N hours is this likely to be accurate or an over/underestimate? Any comments?

Day 1:

Google Maps Route

Distance: 80 miles + Eurotunnel + 560 miles.

Google Time: 1.5 hrs + 1 hr + 9.5 hrs.

A long day to get the Euro Tunnel and the boring motorway bit down through Rheims, Troyes and Dijon out of the way. Cross the border into Switzerland and head down to Lausanne before joining the Jaunpass:

Jaunpass_zps6e818b4b.jpg

Have dinner at the Restaurant Piz Gloria, this was the hideout for Blofeld in the Bond film “On Her Majesties Secret Serviceâ€, stay in a hotel near there for the night:

PizGloria_zpsec2b5f70.jpg

Day 2:

Google Maps Route

Distance: 469 miles

Google Time: 9 hrs 13 mins.

Leave the hotel and join the Susten Pass:

SustenPass_zps386edcbc.jpg

Down through Andermatt and over the Devil’s Bridge, although I can't quite pin point this on the map, I think it may be a off the above route:

Andermatt_194_b_zpsa2de0657.jpg

…and on to the Oberalp Pass:

oberalsppass_zps3ca6665c.jpg

Head east over to Bonaduz and then head down the San Bernardino Pass down to Milan:

san-bernardino-pass1_zpsa06d9ce7.jpg

And then the boring motorway bit through Italy over to Treviso.

Make sure you find out what passes are needed for instance the Swiss use a sticker thing, can't thing of its name, and you must purchase in which to drive on any of their roads.

Called a Vignette, make sure you have one, they hold you hostage at the border on exit if you don't :lol:http://www.tolltickets.com/country/swiss/vignette.aspx?lang=en-GB