My neighbours just reversed into my car

jell36

Don't try to hide it. The insurance companies share details with each other. Also, the Porsche hire car. You will probably find that you will sign an agreement in that you are liable to pay the costs. Usually some sort of interest free thing if I remember correctly. Who is actually arranging the hire car? If it is Saga then probably ok. Otherwise beware as people have been left out of pocket when the third party's insurer refuses to pay on the grounds of the rates being excessive.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also when I come to sell the car do you think people will try to knock money off for the front end respray? I guess people will look and think it's been in a bad smash but obviously it hasn't.

Zed fronts have the aerodynamics of a brick wall and attract stone chips. So you have had the stone chips done to enhance your cars value.

Saga has arranged the hire car, they said I don't need to provide a credit card or anything like that as it is all taken care of, I asked if I would need to show my drivers licence and he said it would be a good idea but only for ID so I don't think I will get stung in that regard. However they said they will contact my insurance company for a cover note and I would be covered insurance wise in exactly the same regard as I am on my 350z which I thought was a little odd as when I travel and hire a car they provide all new and separate insurance.

Agree with scuba on the courtesy car. Ive heard about this, they give you a nice car as a replacement but its on the condition that they can get the money back from the other party. If that comes into dispute then they come back to you. I remember an extreme case where they came back and gave the original person a huge bill for the car (ferrari i believe)

Im sure that wont happen but make sure you read the small print.

Also when I come to sell the car do you think people will try to knock money off for the front end respray? I guess people will look and think it's been in a bad smash but obviously it hasn't.

Zed fronts have the aerodynamics of a brick wall and attract stone chips. So you have had the stone chips done to enhance your cars value.

:thumbs: just hope a potential buyer would see it like that but then again I have this thread as evidence and I will ask the resprayer to say on the receipt that is was reprayed for minor damage to the wing and the rest was for stone chips.

Saga has arranged the hire car, they said I don't need to provide a credit card or anything like that as it is all taken care of, I asked if I would need to show my drivers licence and he said it would be a good idea but only for ID so I don't think I will get stung in that regard. However they said they will contact my insurance company for a cover note and I would be covered insurance wise in exactly the same regard as I am on my 350z which I thought was a little odd as when I travel and hire a car they provide all new and separate insurance.

That seems odd. Why would your insurance company agree to insure a different and a hire car at that for nought? Something smells fishy and your insurance company will get a strong whiff of it as well in the process.

Agree with scuba on the courtesy car. Ive heard about this, they give you a nice car as a replacement but its on the condition that they can get the money back from the other party. If that comes into dispute then they come back to you. I remember an extreme case where they came back and gave the original person a huge bill for the car (ferrari i believe)

Ok, thanks for the heads up, any idea what I should be looking for in the small print? Or shall I just ask for proof of payment that the car hire providers should have from my neighbours insurance company?

:thumbs: just hope a potential buyer would see it like that but then again I have this thread as evidence and I will ask the resprayer to say on the receipt that is was reprayed for minor damage to the wing and the rest was for stone chips.

Don't worry about it. As long as the job is done well nobody would probably notice. Besides, normally someone would knock you down with stone chipped bonnet and bumper in order to have the work done themselves.

Ok, thanks for the heads up, any idea what I should be looking for in the small print? Or shall I just ask for proof of payment that the car hire providers should have from my neighbours insurance company?

For a start make sure you are not signing a credit agreement!

That seems odd. Why would your insurance company agree to insure a different and a hire car at that for nought? Something smells fishy and your insurance company will get a strong whiff of it as well in the process.

Yeah that's where I'm a but concerned although the chap on the phone said that if the cover note from my insurer was needed then this wouldn't be able to be provided without my permission (data protection) and so he may need to do a 3 way call with him, my insurer and me to enable me to authorise it in which case I will be asking my insurer many questions to make sure I'm safe.

Thanks, Scubapics, I'll make sure it's not a credit agreement, hopefully I will just have to sign something that says the state of the cars condition when I pick it up and then something to say how long I have it for, that I am liable for any damage cuased to it, and that it must be returned with a full tank of fuel etc.

Hmm. Saga really should be dealing with this. I'd give Saga a ring if I was you.

It is Saga that's dealing with it, that's the strange bit, they are putting me through to James at MotorPoint House or something to arrage it all. Literally I ring the direct number for Saga and they answer my questions and know all about it and then say "I see you have been dealing with our colleagues at MotorPoint House, let me put you through to them"

A quote from www.manorcarhire.com

We maintain a peerless fleet of high value sports and luxury cars, and offer our clients a smooth and professional service without the need for our client's signing credit hire terms.

All hires are agreed with the at-fault insurer prior to the release of the vehicle which removes the client from the potential pitfall of credit hire whereby they could be potentially liable for the charges.

In addition (were applicable) we will also arrange for the at-fault insurer to authorise the repairs to the clients vehicle negating the need to pay any insurance excess and the intervention of a solicitor.

They look ok. From their website:

All hires are agreed with the at-fault insurer prior to the release of the vehicle which removes the client from the potential pitfall of credit hire whereby they could be potentially liable for the charges.

In addition (were applicable) we will also arrange for the at-fault insurer to authorise the repairs to the clients vehicle negating the need to pay any insurance excess and the intervention of a solicitor.

Another update, dropped my car off at VW on Wednesday, the guy spraying it is an old friend of mine so I trust he will do a good job. My hire car arrived, a nice new Porsche Boxster S and I didn't have to sign any credit agreement or anything so I've been enjoying the temporary car every evening after work.

Manor car hire are really nice people.

When that woman drove into me in March 2011 in my 1st Zed she was insured with Saga.

They arranged to sort everything out and manor car hire sent me a brand new mercedes Auto CLS diesel 350 Grand edition.

Plus a Tank of fuel.

I think some of you may remember the post that I had the car for 96 days as due to the Big Wave in Japan they could not get a door skin or new front Ray.

I did notice that the daily hire was £180 lol.

The reason her insurance wanted to deal with it meant they had there hands on the purse strings.

If I had gone elsewhere and hired a car which costs more than the one they provide, they are quite at liberty to invoice you for the difference.

No doubt the OP would have this in writting from either SAGA or Manor car hire to confirm.

And they won't take the car back until you are 100% happy with the repairs.

You are in good hands and they really do look after you.

The only reason I could not have a Ferrari 430 was that the powers to be do not put the Zed in the supercar bracket where the like for like in this instance is concerned.

I rather liked the Merc:)

Edited by 4RE Leather

They look ok. From their website:

:repost:

2cm above :lol:

Glad it is all getting sorted :thumbs:

Manor car hire are really nice people.

When that woman drove into me in March 2011 in my 1st Zed she was insured with Saga.

They arranged to sort everything out and manor car hire sent me a brand new mercedes Auto CLS diesel 350 Grand edition.

Plus a Tank of fuel.

I think some of you may remember the post that I had the car for 96 days as due to the Big Wave in Japan they could not get a door skin or new front Ray.

I did notice that the daily hire was £180 lol.

The reason her insurance wanted to deal with it meant they had there hands on the purse strings.

If I had gone elsewhere and hired a car which costs more than the one they provide, they are quite at liberty to invoice you for the difference.

No doubt the OP would have this in writting from either SAGA or Manor car hire to confirm.

And they won't take the car back until you are 100% happy with the repairs.

You are in good hands and they really do look after you.

The only reason I could not have a Ferrari 430 was that the powers to be do not put the Zed in the supercar bracket where the like for like in this instance is concerned.

I rather liked the Merc:)

:thumbs: I have to admit I haven't been able to fault Manor Car Hire in any way. They haven't rushed me, they've answered all of my questions, they've been prompt, given me a nice car, gave me full control over the rtepairs and who does them. Literally cannot think of one fault with them.

I didn't think of asking them for anything better than the Porsche, they just offered it so I thought it was more than fair and accepted, I was expecting a Micra :lol:

Nothing else performs like a hire car!

Especially when is brand spanking new and you get a free tank of fuel!

Yep, I love not having to care about the tires when they spin. Nearly makes me cry in my Z as I think about the cost of replacing the pilot supersports :lol: