Rays vs Pothole - fix / claim?

was8v

U5CAkl.jpg

Somehow I don't think the council will cough up £1150+vat for a new rim from nissan after I hit an 8cm deep pothole.

Whats the best way forward, I understand about the claim process, however do you think I can claim for a second hand replacement wheel or a repair?

No external damage to the tyre and it hasn't gone flat. Irks me a little though reusing the tyre. Car drives straight and haven't detected any vibration at motorway speed yet, although I would want to get the geo checked.

Anyone had successful pothole claim on such an expensive wheel?

Edited by was8v

Well I've located a used rim at reasonable cost, and will have the tyre and the suspension inspected when its changed over, along with the geo check.

I think this damage can be repaired fairly easily, but I'd prefer replacement.

Just going to minimise expense and then submit a claim for the costs, means its more likely to get paid out and not so bad if it doesn't get paid.

Edited by was8v

PSSH that's not pothole damage!

http://forums.overcl....php?t=18472734 << That is a true pothole for men.

To my knowledge, you can only claim against the Council if the pothole has already been reported and they're aware of it.

Jeez thats not a pothole, its a crater!

Well I've submitted a FOI request to find out if its been reported before and also reported it so they can fill it in.

Plenty of pictures etc and measurements, if the tyre looks OK on the inside I will only be the cost of the used wheel + fitting out of pocket + someone might buy the old one off me for a few quid (as I believe it can be fixed, and it was mint pre damage).

Edited by was8v

• 4 months later...

To update this I replaced the wheel with a mint used one from ebay (to minimise costs) and had the tyre swapped and a geo check.

The council have covered these costs entirely (without any admission of liability) so it is well worth a claim if it happens to you,

To update this I replaced the wheel with a mint used one from ebay (to minimise costs) and had the tyre swapped and a geo check.

The council have covered these costs entirely (without any admission of liability) so it is well worth a claim if it happens to you,

You must have a very nice council?

I mangled a forged Ducati front wheel in a pothole. Was told unless they knew about pothole....then you cant claim.

Was tempted to go back with the wifes car, sledge hammer the rim...just to claim. But then the red mist cleared.

Good to here you got sorted though :)

Was told unless they knew about pothole....then you cant claim.

I just followed procedure here http://www.potholes....p_by_step_guide and they have coughed up without any fight.

I don't think they knew about the pothole I hit until I reported it. I know this because i submitted an FOI request for inspections and complaints for the year prior to my incident and couldn't spot it.

Edited by was8v