High Pitched Noise

Toothy

Hi chaps. Took a test drive in an '08 350Z today, was very happy with the car. Execpt it made a high pitch whine/noise, the entire time the ignition was on. Me and the salesman determined that the DVD drive for the satnav was the culprit, but I was concerned it may be the fuel pump. The noise was high pitch but could be heard fairly clearly during slow-medium speed driving. The noise starts from when the key is turned to posistion one in the ignition. If anyone knows when the fuel pump kicks in, maybe that would answer my question? Has anyone come across this before?

Several people have complained about this on the 370 on the US forum and my 370 does it, but never had a problem with my 350.

The fuel pump appears to be the culprit:

http://www.the370z.com/engine-drivetrain/4065-whine-noise-high-pitch-arg.html

http://www.the370z.com/nissan-370z-general-discussions/10603-high-pitch-noise-hurting-my-ears.html

Maybe worth checking if the noise stops after you leave the ignition on but the engine off for a while.

Of course it could also be some other interference of some description through the amp, see how you get on.

Thanks guys. I will take the dvd out next time i see the car. That should narrow it down a lot.

Car has only done 37,000 so wouldnt have thought the fuel pump should be on it's way out.

I would like to think it's the dvd drive, can they be replaced easily/cheaply if it is?

Thanks guys. I will take the dvd out next time i see the car. That should narrow it down a lot.

Car has only done 37,000 so wouldnt have thought the fuel pump should be on it's way out.

I would like to think it's the dvd drive, can they be replaced easily/cheaply if it is?

Mine crocked it at less than that in kms. Was damaged by vibration, but if the pump does start to go it will create a very high pitched noise. Hurts your ears very quickly.

• 2 weeks later...