How lucky are we!?

OsakaBen

A friend of mine got pulled over today for having show plate on his front bumper.

Although its easy to get annoyed at police these days that seem to pull modded cars over just for revenue. Its always good to look on the bright-side.

For example,

Aftermarket Turbos are illegal in California.

Cars in Japan are limited to 112 mph

Motorbike 'filtering' is illegal in America.

France has random mobile speed cameras on any roads.

I think sometimes we should consider ourselves lucky.

No idea why, it just came to my head haha

A friend of mine got pulled over today for having show plate on his front bumper.

Good. He knows the law, no point moaning if you get caught. Same with speeding etc, take the risk at your own peril.

Not saying that he was moaning, of course :)

On your other points;

1. Not quite, it's just the CARB certification that's the issue. There's ways and means around it, especially if you live close to the state border.

2. Plenty enough for 99% of the time, if you're into trackdays then you'd have it removed for £20.

3. I didn't know that, really? Even though overtaking is allowed both sides? Crazy.

4. So do we :wink:

I prefer to compare ourselves to the Aussies. They've got it really tough, with huge restrictions on stuff like lowering the car and very very tight speed limits where even a brush over can put you in trouble. I certainly wouldn't want to live there as a petrolhead.

I've driven quite a few thousand miles in Oz now and you certainly have to, er, keep your eyes open, especially on any 'blind' corners or brows.

Mind you, there is no excuse as with most change in speed limits (both up and down) you are warned well in advance, unlike here where it can suddely change from 60 to 30 with no warning.

Here, they seem to spend more on signs suggesting there are speed cameras (often there aren't any) without addressing the sudden limit changes that just gives the police the opportunity to use the mobile cameras knowing that they will get some unwitting offenders unable to knock off the speed in time. :dry:

Moreover, how many times have you driven in relatively built up areas not sure whether its a 40 or 30 zone, due the absence of roundels - honestly its a lottery half the time, unless you know the area well. Hence why I use a snooper that identifies 'high risk zones' that has helped me, (and no doubt a fair bit of luck) to keep a clean licence.

Will stick to driving in Kiwiland. :) Mind you step out of line, and you can have your car impounded. 40kms over whatever the legal posted speed limit is, then that's instant impound and loss of licence. On holiday weekends they now have only a 4km tolerance over the speed limit, then it's ticket time. So everyone travels at 90kms or even 85 instead. :wacko:

Generally they're fairly reasonable.

Also...Switzerland has rediculous speeding fines...

For example if you are caught speeding 25km/h over the limit in a built up area you are charged 10x your Daily Income!!!...F%$K that!!

I knew this as i got flashed in switzerland once and spent the months after worrying what would come of it haha!

finetable.gif

Moreover, how many times have you driven in relatively built up areas not sure whether its a 40 or 30 zone, due the absence of roundels - honestly its a lottery half the time, unless you know the area well.

no its not, you just need to know your highway code, all built up areas with street lighting are 30 mph, unless sign posted otherwise. So basically street lights and no rounded means its 30mph. Its common knowledge and most people should learn it when they learn to drive.

Moreover, how many times have you driven in relatively built up areas not sure whether its a 40 or 30 zone, due the absence of roundels - honestly its a lottery half the time, unless you know the area well.

no its not, you just need to know your highway code, all built up areas with street lighting are 30 mph, unless sign posted otherwise. So basically street lights and no rounded means its 30mph. Its common knowledge and most people should learn it when they learn to drive.

When you turn out of or into a street, both with lights and one you have been using is 40mph, it can be a very long time before you know you are actually now in a 30 zone, due to the absence of roundels in the stretch of road concerned.