Replacing runflat tyres with non runflat tyres!

stuarty

I believe it can set off the Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (or whatever BMW call their system) when switching to normal tyres.

BMW and some of the tyre fitting chains will tell you that non-runflat can't or won't fit for all sorts of reasons. I can only speak from experience but I can honestly say that neither myself or my brother have ever had TPMS issues having swapped out runflats for OEM size non-runflats six times on three cars over the last eight years and many, many miles all on OEM wheels. We've both been warned of flats when expected and no false alarms. :thumbs:

MINI R50 - Pirelli 17", Yokohama 17" & Hankook winter 16"

BMW E81 - Falken 18"

BMW E92 - Kumho 19" & Kumho winter 18"

• Like 1

I switched from 16" run flats to a set of 18" staggered fitment wheels with non-run flat tyres on my old E90 and had no issues with the TPMS at all.

I had to re-calibrate the TPMS a few days after changing the wheels, due to the change in wheel size, and it was fine after this. IMO the car felt alot nicer to drive and was well worth doing.

Ive read arguments both ways with this. Some say BMW have set the suspension to work best with runflats and so if you change them the car wont handle as well. Others say the runflats are too firm and changing to non runflats actually improve things.

Im not sure what I will do yet when I come to replace the tyres on my 123d coupe. I was looking at winter tyres earlier and only pirelli (i think it was) make runflats in the sizes my car has and they came to £1000 not incl fitting.

• 3 weeks later...

Apart from not being very ideal if you have a puncture you will have a lot less road noise...

The tyre pressure monitoring only monitors wheels speeds and clocks if there is increase in difference so im sure if you reset the system after they tire change it will be fine!

• 2 weeks later...

Change them for sure. It won't affect the tpms and will transform the car. My old Z4 was a nightmare on bridgestone RFT's. Some people will say you can't do it but the only difference between a RFT alloy and standard alloy is an extra lip on the inside to prevent a RFT tyre coming of when flat.

changed girlfriends mini onto non-runflats, tpms triggered but just needed resetting, local bmw garage talked me through it over the phone

Yes, you're supposed to reset it every time you change the tyres or pressures. It's in the manual but it was a bit convoluted and even after seven years I still had to look it up each time. :bangin:

Been running non-run flat Falken winter tyres on my E90 M sport for last few weeks, have to honestly say the ride is no better compared to having Michelin Pilot Sports run flats. The damping is just as rubbish as ever...but hopefully that will be solve soon :teeth:

My wife drives an E92 with runflats when there worn out I will be going for standard tyres with a higher profile for a better ride. My mate just bought a brand new M3 the other day it has 19inch wheels like mine but a higher profile NON runflat tyres they include a pump and sealant with the car.