MOT Fail emissions.!?

TonyZman129

My 2004 Z has just failed its mot on emissions by 0.04 on LAMBDA reading. Only done 53K. The garage changed the middle secion of exhaust as it had a blow / corrosion at the join. Was expecting a successful re-test but still failed.

Garage now just guessing..could be this could be that all adding up to be the most expensive mot I've ever had..any ideas how to bring reading down or what could be?

Edited by TonyZman129

Just to explore this further... you are allowed to drive the vehicle to get it repaired or to a retest providing you have an appointment. It doubt that driving other than direct to either venues would be seen favourably by the law. I also doubt that you would be given a seven day wonder as the vehicle has failed an MOT, is on the MOT database and thus they know that you already know that the vehicle, in the eyes of the law, is not road worthy. You are more likely to have the vehicle confiscated, etc etc.

Also your insurance is invalid. If you have an accident you are screwed.

Go past any jam sandwiches and you are likely to be stopped immediately due to the use of ANPR cameras.

It's just not worth it IMHO.

Fuel additives are all good and well, but they take a good 2 tanks of fuel to work through, so if your willing to do the best part of 700 miles before turning up to the test centre i don;t thin thats going to work.

If it was me i'd get an OBDII on to it and check and see if the lamdas have kicked up a code, you might just need a new lamda sensor. they don;t always turn the CEL on; so a code reader is required. there are quiet a few of us on here with the kit that can do that for you, or a garage should be able to check it.

If its all clear my next trip would be to a terraclean provider

http://www.terraclean.co.uk/

I must admit i was sceptical when i first cam across this on wheeler dealers, but having donw some reading it seems to be very effective.

• Like 1

i had no cats in my old car and the reading came back well above 1 stuck some agent in it went for a 40minute burn and it came back at 0.02 or something so maybe worth a try its only a tenner i think anyway or like others say get codes read or find a friendly m.o.t man ;)

Edited by jumping350

Thanks all for overwhelming response.

Nice to see some true petrol Z heads out there.!

In the end I took it back to the mot station where they kindly re-tested the emissions for free after a little rant across country.! To my surprise it passed a subsequent mot so leads me to think that the new exhaust hadn't sealed itself properly or something prior to re-test.

In summary having added Forte Gas treatment & new middle section exhaust etc a re-mot brought the reading right down to 1.00 which smack bang in the middle allowed. I also put super unleaded fuel in the day before so wonder if that helped too.?

A lesson learned for next year perhaps?

Thanks again