What's the big deal with winter driving?

akewt

This one is aimed at Ekona......what about mixing tyres over winter, would I get better traction as surely the variety in tread patterns would confuse the snow and therefore improve grip?

100%. You see the snow is expected winter tyres. Just trick it with some r888s.

If i had the cash for spare wheels and tyres i'd do it. specially tempted this year as apparently we're set for a bad winter :shrug:

they make a big difference to grip and traction in the snow.

as for 4x4's if they are on summer tyres which most still are 4x4 only helps to a point, if its really bad you need winter tyres as well. seen plenty of chelsea tractors slide across a road; for them its more the braking than the getting going.

just remember to inform your insurance company if you fit them as some comapnies see them as a modification and you can void your insurance if you have an accident with them fitted. and before you all say WTF; i completely agress its a bloody farse. hopefully it won;t cost you any extra but they just like to know. :shrug:

they make a big difference to grip and traction in the snow.

as for 4x4's if they are on summer tyres which most still are 4x4 only helps to a point, if its really bad you need winter tyres as well. seen plenty of chelsea tractors slide across a road; for them its more the braking than the getting going.

I've drove a q7 in the snow. It was crap. It was on GSD3's but still the 4x4 just span all 4 wheels. Useless. I saw this mentality lots when it snowed heavy here oh I own a range/land rover I'll be ok but then they get stuck. Me in my winter tyre equipped driving past everyone. Stopping is a different matter and 4x4 doesnt help you at all. If anything the extra weight is a burden.

First year with winter tyres on here. The Zed is my only car - unless I steal her Pug, but that still leaves one of us stranded, and Aberdeen public transport is crap.

Have driven it once on the snow on summer tyres (Hankook Ventus V12s) and it was horrid - zero grip and too much stress, hoping that the winters will at least allow me to drive without getting the fear :)

I would argue a decent FWD car on winter tyres (or even RWD) will be far better in the snow than a 4x4 with summers (as most have).

I never had too much trouble with the Zed on summer tyres through the winter down here. If I had the dosh then I'd have had winter tyres as they do make sense in a car like the Zed. Although its drivable in the snow on summer tyres, I have no doubt that winters would make it a lot easier.

That being said, the most of the problems I see down here when it snows would not be helped by winter tyres. People down south generally cant drive in adverse weather conditions :surrender:

Just dont drive in the snow! I have seen plenty of 4WD cars buried into plenty of things with a touch of snow on the ground. On average across half the UK we get five days of ground lying snow, if you are in that low lying land area or near the coast it really isnt worth the money nor the risk.

Just dont drive in the snow! I have seen plenty of 4WD cars buried into plenty of things with a touch of snow on the ground. On average across half the UK we get five days of ground lying snow, if you are in that low lying land area or near the coast it really isnt worth the money nor the risk.

That's because of the summer tyres that come with most 4x4 and the driver mentality most 4x4 drivers. Look at Europe it snows most of the winter, no problem for them. Remember 2 years ago fuel started to run low. Supermarkets ran out of food and a lot of people couldn't get to work. The country stopped working because of snow. It's pathetic really.

i wouldnt bother changing your tyres due to rain, but the zeds are a comoplete joke in snow

What makes the zed so bad in snow? My uncle drive his 550i in the snow no problem. Front engine, rear drive, auto and more powerful than a zed.

Honestly you would believe how much difference winter tyres make.

Yeah the over reaction to snow in the UK is pretty mental. Of course winter tyres will be better than summer tyres, thats not in doubt. I considered winter tyres last year but given I live in London I decided against it, and hey I made it, I'm still here :)

The majority of the south east will get snow at some point, but really, it is only for about a total of a week over a couple of months, for the hassle and cost of changing tyres and buying them in addition to the damage the salt and grit does to the underside of the car and wheels, just stay off the road. Yooo norven lot though, serves you right right for living in the wrong part of the country ;)