plasti dip

0000mitch0000

recently i have been trying to change the colour of my z without breaking the bank. i tried using vinyl wrap which worked quite well but iv gone off the idea since spending several hours wrapping my bonnet only to find the vinyl had a small tare right in the middle, which really pi**ed me off!!!

iv came across plasti dip on voutube (www.cardipuk.com or www.dipyourcar.com) i was just wondering if any one has tried it, and do you need to be a pro painter to get it to look right?

i know jumping350 was looking at fully plastidipping his car, not sure if hes completed it or not so may be worth having a search for member "jumping350"

Vinyl wrapping your car, it tore either because you heated it too much, or its cheap ebay vinyl. If you want a hand wrapping your car, if your near Ruislip ill happily help you for free or give you some tips. Its a 2 man job, so if your doing it yourself, thatll be why it took hours doing your bonnet :) drop a mail if ur wanting a hand

For vinyl wrapping

1) Heatgun is good piece of equipment but most people overuse it, which results in either leaving stretchmarks (dependant what colour you choose), tearing or making the job 10x harder. You want to use the heatgun as late as possible. If your doing something like a bonnet, you should be able to do most of the bonnet without using a heatgun, but use it for the corners where you will need to heat it up to pull it tight to get rid of any creases. The heatgun is just to make the vinyl 1- more flexible for contours and 2- once the vinyl is on the bonnet and secure, you will go over the whole bonnet heating it, so the glue spreads around the bonnet to make each part stick.

2) Dont use cheap vinyl, i bought some to practice with and made me think it wasnt possible, bought some HEXIS (or 3m, both the same really), and then realised just how different it was.

3) with proper vinyl, when it looks like your going to crease up, i.e. you have a air bubble, theres 2 ways to deal with it.

1- If its a small air bubble (about the size of your nail), rub your finger in a circle motion, starting from a big circle, slowly getting smaller and smaller. HEXIS has air release holes which will slowly get the air out

2- If its a big air bubble (about the size of making a circle with your thumb and index finger touching), get your squeegee or a thin finger, and make knots and crosses with the bubble, so you split the bubble into mini sections, then do the circle motion on each of these, or if they were very small, just push down.

These only work on more expensive vinyl, HEXIS for definate, im presuming 3m will be the same

4) If you have the pre-06 bonnet, you will have those indented lines going down the bonnet, dont push the vinyl in these straight away. use the squeegee and go over the lines, trying not to push in (as it will stretch the vinyl making it harder to do the rest of the bonnet). Just do the bonnet, then at the end, use the heat gun and slowly push in with your fingers or squeege, the indent.

I am looking at doing a guide on how to vinyl wrap car parts and what problems you will come accross, i.e;

How to do corners without leaving lines/creases

How to get rid of bubbles

How to do the finishing touch around the rim

How to stretch vinyl correctly

How to get rid of creases

If you want to see some photos, my thread is about me vinyl wrapping my car, youll see the process we do.

no it doesn't peel at all but I wouldn't use a jet wash on them, no u can't get gloss plasti dip that I have seen but I did think maybe if they were lacquered it would look better and the lacquer would just peel off along with the dip buy I have yet to test this theory

There's a plastidip glossifier which is probably just lacquer but worth looking into

Where are you guys buying the black spray? It's out of stock on eBay and plastidip.co.uk and has been for ages. Want to freshen up some interior panels

no it doesn't peel at all but I wouldn't use a jet wash on them, no u can't get gloss plasti dip that I have seen but I did think maybe if they were lacquered it would look better and the lacquer would just peel off along with the dip buy I have yet to test this theory

There's quite a few vids on youtube of using pressure washers on plastidip and even a vid of a plastidipped car going through a car wash without it peeling, can't vouch for any scratches afterwards tho.

if it works the same as vinyl, i jet wash mine but its on the light spray, otherwise if can get under a tiny bit which leaves dirt under it and gets worse over time.

just thinking if i lacquered it, if any of the lacquer went to a bit i hadnt sprayed, would it connect with the normal alloy spray and be unpeelable. hmm

il pop some pics up soon as hasnt had time too..you can jet wash it fine my wheels have been on there for nearly year and half and as long as you have sprayed properly in first place it shouldnt get underneath it

also you can use a non fibre cloth soap and water or a bit of wd40 and will wipe straight off

Dean there is a glossifier you can use which goes over the top obviously and that will peel with the plastidip if you decide to take it off

Ring up plastidip they often have loads of stock but are delayed in updating there website