BMW Run flats

ace

Hi,

I'm just about to buy wifey a newer car for Christmas a BMW 325D Coupe Auto 57 plate I have had a good deal with the seller and he has agreed to pay for 2 new rear tyres as they have about 4mm left in them. I'm getting some money off the total price some £630 :scare: for the rears yes you did read that right they are 255/30/19 RunFlats that's what garages are quoting me for replacements. My problem is with the money should I buy these runflats or buy a complete set of 4 new quaility ordinary tyres and but a spare wheel I would like to know if the runflats are any much advantage to the car. :blush:

Not really, if the car is designed for run flats then they're not a complete disaster but even then they still tramline quite badly. They maintain their integrity when punctured by having extremely rigid sidewalls so they give a really hard ride. I've also read that if you do get a puncture then it can be difficult to find someone to repair them.

I would check though that having non run flats on would be a problem with the MOT and I certainly wouldn't put ordinary tyres on one set of axles and run flats on the other.

Pete

Edited by JetSet

I just bought a brand new 3 series coupe also. Ive got 19's with runflats and m sport suspension and the ride is fine. I feel your pain regarding the price of the runflats. It didn't bother me as i only cover around 3000 miles per year, so i shouldn't need to replace them. But if i get a puncture thats a different matter. BMW do run flat insurance, might be worth a look if your worried!

Yes, only about 3 brands to choose from Bridgestone £278. Goodyear £279 and Pirelli £270 there from Camskills then there's the postage and getting them fitted on the car most garages are quoting £330 a wheel supplied :scare: but if I must have them it's a no brainer I suppose.

Edited by ace

Run flats on my 335 are fine, the ride is similar to the Z. Even with the tread down to nearly the legal limit no problems with grip, infact much better in the wet than RE040s that I use to have on Z. Will be replaced by standard tyres soon....purely because of cost, if prices were the same I would pick run-flats over standard every time.

Run flats on my 335 are fine, the ride is similar to the Z. Even with the tread down to nearly the legal limit no problems with grip, infact much better in the wet than RE040s that I use to have on Z. Will be replaced by standard tyres soon....purely because of cost, if prices were the same I would pick run-flats over standard every time.

Thats not because your using runflats..........thats because your probably running a runflat version of the RE050 which is amazing. The RE040 on the other hand is like cellotaping a greased weasle to the wheel.

The handling is amazing - the ride is spleen rupturing.

You might be right about the RE040s :), my run flats are Michellin Pilot sports and the grip/handling is fab!! I've read many stories about how awful the ride is and how the grip goes away once RFTs are half worn but have been really susprised at how good these tyres are!!