Guides

Dblock

I was comparing out guides to ones of another one I use (non 350z) and personally I think we are lagging behind.

Now I know there is a workshop manual but I never really get on with them. Real pictures and detailed step by step would be great. Also I do own a Haynes but again users guides always help me much much more.

Our guides should be step by step, accurate, accompanied by pictures and ideally hosted somewhere the picture links don't get broken. Also ideally over time from super simple ones like pictures and a write up on how to change a battery or jack it up to full rebuild of the engine and everywhere inbetween.

It's just to make our forum more of a one stop shop plus I think it's another way of contributing and really helping people out.

So is there any guides people would like to see? Even if we just make a list and then one of us will have to do one the jobs to repair or fix our cars at one point so they will get done slowly.

Ideas, inputs and critisms?

I think you're right, epic task though. Could we build upon some of the guides already out there to save time/duplication of effort?

It is but someone is always doing something on their car so I don't think it would take that long. But from the responses I dont think anyone is really up for it.

If people want to do them for others, then they should be encouraged to do so. Very few people can be bothered with doing so though, as it's time and effort that makes a job about 10x longer than it otherwise would be and that makes it a PITA. Everyone is as bad as everyone else in that respect, myself included.

I agree with the idea, but there is absolutely nothing that can be done about it unless you offer people an incentive. On a free forum, that's spectacularly hard to do unless you can get folks to put their hands in their wallets. Hell, I'd put together a guide for something if people were willing to pay me for my time, but otherwise it's unlikely that I would ever bother. Not a helpful attitude, I know, but at least it's honest and one I would guess that a lot of people would subscribe to.

There are some notable exceptions of people on here who are far more helpful than I, and there are some folks who help guiding in people in person as opposed to writing proper guides, which is equally commendable.

I agree that's it's a pain in the backside but even on forums where you pay a sub makers of guides aren't paid. It's something that's done to help the club and a pm saying thanks is usually payment.

If you don't want to make one thats fine but if you are thinking about doing something on your car and you have a camera. Just make a guide it won't take to long :thumbs:

One of the most challenging issues I find is that you know you have read a guide or answer for 'how-to', but you can spend ages tracking it down, even using the search functions you think should pin-point it.

A good thread heading is eseential in my book rather than (say) "Look what I did today" , that turns out to offer something really useful.

If we spot how-to's we can easily move them into the guides section and rename them. We can even host the images here so thats no problem. Just need people to write up what they are doing. Problem is, if you're anything like me, you do things in dribs and drabs and often in a rush so forget to take photos and document it!

I agree that's it's a pain in the backside but even on forums where you pay a sub makers of guides aren't paid. It's something that's done to help the club and a pm saying thanks is usually payment.

Sorry, what I meant more was that if it was a paid-for forum then you could dish out free subs to those who submit a guide or other incentive like that. My idea of getting paid directly for it was just a blatant attempt at profiteering! :lol: