Goodyear ultragrip

drfeelgood73

Have now done around 500 miles on my new set of ultra grips and am very happy with them. With the roads being really wet/ greasy and covered with the leaves with even a slight touch of morning frost they cope very well.

Ok....I am not pushing them but compared to what I did have on it is like being on rails....

The look of the tyre even compliments the car in a weird rugged kind of way..

Certainly not seeing that orange flickering on the dash anywhere near half as much.... The car feels very drive able now.

Was going to go with Falkens like others suggested but living up north with the average temp now down to about 8 decided after reading reviews that they don't like the cold.

Managed to get four fitted on 18's for £750 which I thought was excellent.

A lot of tyre fitters and garages around here refusing to fit tyres not supplied by them.... Is this the same elsewhere?..

I'm in Surrey, my local independent is excellent regarding this, he gets the balancing and fitting, he's done stuff for 3 of us I think. His attitude is he doesn't have the buying power of Camskills etc but is happy to have the work, nice people too. :thumbs:

A lot of tyre fitters and garages around here refusing to fit tyres not supplied by them.... Is this the same elsewhere?..

Quite common unfortunately. It means they get very little profit compared to selling you the tyres and fitting them. Some fitters (like Graham's) take it as an opportunity they'd normally miss and welcome the small bit of work, but a lot of bigger places that have a good long queue anyway, can afford to refuse hoping you then buy from them. You'll be surprised as to how many fall for it, as if they didnt, the fitter couldnt get away with it ;)

Micheldever Tyres (Winchester) are very good and will take tyres from Camskill and fit them, or with Black Circle you can get them delivered direct ready for fitting. They do an excellent job and are the only fitters I take my cars to. I've never had anything mis-balanced from them and they always nip the nuts up with torque wrenches, not air guns.

I do miss living back down south as up here a lot of businesses know that it will take a lot of travelling to get a competitive price and so shaft the general public.

I can get items delivered from London to my door for a cheaper price than somebody 50 miles away , as I have just done with my new boiler.

You would think that though in this so called recession and with Xmas upon us that just putting on a few tyres and making some straight forward cash would be beneficial rather than having to go through the pricing and ordering of them as well, and having to maybe have a cancelation and excess stock.

Maybe it's just me, but if it was my business I would take it every time.... A ponds a pound after all......

I guess that if a wheel is damaged in the fitting process, then they haven't made any money off the fitting to cover any repairs, compared to selling a new tyre... probably applies more to expensive wheels though.

Also, would you fit a tyre to a customer's car if you had no proof where it came from?

The original Camskill are my local fitters, so I get all my tyres from there. They will fit random tyres, but charge £20 a corner for fit and balance. With three cars I'm quite a good customer normally, so I can get my winters/summers swapped over for a fiver a wheel as I bought them there.

The end result is down to the customer if they go to the trouble of getting them elsewhere to save a few quid. You can only advise against it and offer no guarantee other than the fitting at that time...... Once it leaves....that's it.

I have had a brand new vreidestein £200 tyre bubble and degrade on the inside wall down to threads after only 200 mile.... Only found out cause I had to get a puncture repaired......

Got a new tyre for free from it...... But what if I hadn't had the puncture......

Even buying new you are totally reliant on the manufacturing process anyway..... And the quality control

I am sure others have had experiences with new tyres as well that we're fitted at authorised stockists....

Obviously buying second hand from salvage / ebay / local papers you really are taking a risk.....

The end result is down to the customer if they go to the trouble of getting them elsewhere to save a few quid. You can only advise against it and offer no guarantee other than the fitting at that time...... Once it leaves....that's it.

I have had a brand new vreidestein £200 tyre bubble and degrade on the inside wall down to threads after only 200 mile.... Only found out cause I had to get a puncture repaired......

Got a new tyre for free from it...... But what if I hadn't had the puncture......

Even buying new you are totally reliant on the manufacturing process anyway..... And the quality control

I am sure others have had experiences with new tyres as well that we're fitted at authorised stockists....

Obviously buying second hand from salvage / ebay / local papers you really are taking a risk.....

I'm glad there are some tyre threads going, as this would be something I am looking to replace on my Zed and would like some feedback.

I've always had Michellin PS2's but it seems that nobody even mentions them anymore.

In regards to buying part worn tyres, obviously a lot of people would never entertain it but I have done this in the past. I had 4 x PS2s running on my E36, I got them with 6mm of thread and they lasted me years with no issues, but like you say it is a risk as you dont know how long they have been laying around, etc.

It would be nice to know how long the Goodyears last, I had the Goodyear Eagle F1's also back in the day, they last me 6 months and I couldnt justify buying them again.

Kwik-Fit down here will not touch anything not supplied by them, Pro-Tyre will do it but it depends who you speak too and what mood they are in. I've always got my tyres from Black Circles.

Edited by Dave-350

I have got these on strictly as winter/ cold weather and will go onto my 19's come the better weather so expect them to last a good while.

I work away so don't run them all the time, maybe someone else could give you a better idea of how long to expect them to last, but like all tyres, driving style has the biggest effect on them.