3D TV's - can you watch 2 channels at once yet?

marzman

Hey guys,

I've been working my way up to buying a new TV for the last few months or so and would be interested to know if anyone has any experience with the dual screen functionality which i've seen mentioned in a few places online.

Basically - i think the new LG tv's can turn split screen gaming into a different full screen view for each player, so that both people get to have their own full screen view.

However, does anyone know if this theory can be used to watch 2 different sources at the same time yet? i.e. Can i play xbox while the missus watches X Factor??

If so, im going out to buy one of these TV's NOW so i dont have to sit through another Saturday evening of SHITE!!

Here's a video

The technology is definitely available to buy now, mainly from LG and Sony it seems. Dual inputs (two seperate devices or two unrelated displays, as opposed to two displays from the same device that are direclty related, such as dual screen gaming) is an interesting one though. The restriction I would imagine is going to come partly from the input devices; with the current version of the Sky+HD box you can only ever watch one channel on the same box, so you'd need to buy a multiroom box and hook it up to a different input on the same TV. The tv/Xbox combo is a better bet, although tbh I haven't actually seen any TVs that openly claim to be able to handle displaying two inputs simultaneously. I can't see it being that hard to have two sound channels either, maybe one for speakers and one for headphones, that shouldn't be a problem.

Seems to me that this technology is still in its infancy, and that now probably isn't the best time to buy in.

DB