Confusion over RE050A

Turbo-G

Hi all,

Looking to purchase 4 OEM Bridgestone Potenza RE050a tyres in 225/45/18 and 245/45/18

Looking at numerous tyres sellers, I'm confused which compound to go for as I seem to be seeing conflicting information.

Presumably the rears should have a load rating of 96W and the fronts 91W?

What's the difference between RZ, JZ, Z, BZ, EZ and DZ?

If someone could advise what I should be ordering as per OEM recommendation, that would be appreciated.

Thanks!

The handbook says for the tyre sizes you are quoting and on 18" wheels, 91W for front tyres and 96W for the rear tyres. The letter/number is explained here:

http://www.blackcircles.com/general/speedrating

So as long as you do not go below those numbers or letters you will be fine - in fact you may find 'Y' rating tyres at better prices ;)

Ditch the Bridgestones and buy Falkens instead - they transformed the car for me much better feel. :)

Where's Ekona when you need him...

DB

Dan has bit of a downer on the 452 Falkens, whereas a lot of us who have used them over a long period found them excellent value for money and for everyday road use are a perfectly competent tyre in the wet and dry. But bear in mind Falken now have the 453 out as a replacement and we do not know the feedback on those yet.

Ditch the Bridgestones and buy Falkens instead - they transformed the car for me much better feel. :)

Where's Ekona when you need him...

DB

Dan has bit of a downer on the 452 Falkens, whereas a lot of us who have used them over a long period found them excellent value for money and for everyday road use are a perfectly competent tyre in the wet and dry. But bear in mind Falken now have the 453 out as a replacement and we do not know the feedback on those yet.

It was slightly tongue in cheek ;) I'm perfectly prepared to believe the FKs are fine for everyday driving.

That said; whilst I'm not going to diss a tyre I've never used, I'm also not so sure I'd suggest 'ditching' tyres that Ferrari saw fit to put on the Enzo and replacing them with semi-budgets with an at best mixed reputation.

DB

Just spoke to the chap at Event tyres, and he told me there would be no difference in compound between a KZ or a DZ for example. The only difference being the price.

He told me that dependent on the manufacturer in which the specific 2 char code is applied, the price may vary. Often more prestigious manufacturer 'versions' will cost more even though in principle they're the same tyre! Manufacturers use those 2 char codes for their OEM tyres from new.

Makes sense, but is that correct?