Trackday fun

robzracing

Actually the airbag ECU is still in the car, I plan to remove that when I investigate the passenger airbag. Good to hear it's worth something, should help to pay for the second set of wheels we picked up at the weekend.

It'll be interesting to hear how you get on with the DS3000s. We do have brake ducts so hopefully all in they should provide some good stopping performance for the duration of a trackday. I doubt they'll get as hot as in race conditions anyway.

So last night I tackled the drivers window which hasn't been working since we got the car. As we don't have any door cards stripping out the regulator and motor was easy enough. However, after taking the motor out and testing it everything seemed ok. But once it was loaded with the regulator it would wind in one direction and then stop working again.

Then, thanks to the guides on this forum I discovered this is a common problem with a simple fix.

IMG_4329.jpg

IMG_4328.jpg

The motor gets very clogged with carbon and grease on the inside which stops it working properly.

A quick clean and bingo! All as good as new :)

Another job off the list. Next stop, FIA cut off switch.

All you need to do now is change that avatar :p

Hey! Nothing wrong with my LCR. It's a great track toy and as it stands at the moment probably quicker than the zed on track ;) .

Had a chance to get some better pics today.

DSC_0527.jpg

DSC_0515.jpg

DSC_0519.jpg

DSC_0521.jpg

And here's the problem with the discs. Due to be skimmed this week

DSC_0528.jpg

And this weekend's project. Connecting the cutoff switch. Just need to locate the live feeds from the battery to the ignition and fuel pump which need to be routed through the isolator. :wacko:

DSC_0529.jpg

This is a solid state cutoff switch rather than a mechanical isolator but apparently still FIA approved which is handy should we ever decide to race this.

should you decide to race! come on man you know youve made the decision you just need to admit it to yourself ;)

looks good :)

You're probably right!

Although after watching your videos from last week the zed looks a bit of a handful in the wet ;)

We're hoping to take it to Brands in the next couple of weeks for a shakedown. The seat runners arrived this morning so that's next on the list after the brakes are done.

IMG_4343.jpg

the vid you watched if it was snetterton or last week at brands we ran dry setup, so snett we got caught out completely baking sunshine to pitch black sky and lightning thunderstorms, the marshall had to push my car sideways to the grid slot cause i couldnt get any traction.. brands we ran dry setup in case it changes weather half way through.

if it rains hard we have good setups, mostly starting with softening everything up and disconnecting the front ARB, potentially with some ABS, still no need for nissan TC but we might start with the syvecs TC :)

That's interesting. It was the Brands videos I was watching. After that I was thinking about having the traction control reconnected (although turned off as default) so we could continue in situations like that. I'm not aware of the Syvecs TC, may have to look into that.

I know that ours is very frisky in the wet at the moment but having the standard suspension is not helping! :wacko:

So, the discs have now been skimmed, a new set of DS2500 fitted and some new RF800 super DOT 4 brake fluid put in.

IMG_4371.jpg

Just need to bed the pads in now, so if anyone remembers the correct bedding in procedure for these pads it might save me looking it up. I know they need to be taken through their heat cycle a couple of times which is basically going to consist of an hour or so of spirited driving and heavy braking but I believe you can get it wrong quite easily and end up glazing them.

I went down to the workshop to see the car go on the dyno before taking it home.

IMG_4367.jpg

IMG_4366.jpg

and a little video if you want to waste 2 minutes of your life ;)

th_IMG_4368-1.jpg

And the result.....

Dynograph.jpg

I think 288bhp isn't bad for a 9 year old car. As far as we're aware it only has a K&N filter on it and apart from that it's standard.

All in all, we're pleased with that, and although we're going to be concentrating on handling this gives us a good benchmark for the future when, I'm sure we'll need a new exhaust for example. And it's very unlikely that we'll fit a standard one back on it. So it will be interesting to see what effect if any a change like that will have on the figures. Probably not an awful lot with out a remap though.

Edited by robzracing

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update this evening.

Cut-off switch is now connected. A small thing but it became a pain in the proverbial trying to locate the correct wires to route the ignition and fuel pump through the switch, even with Nissan's wiring schematics. At one point pressing the cut-off switch while the car was running just turned the headlights on! :blush:

So, I'm currently working on the seat runners. This is the subframe that was fabricated by the guys who fitted the rollcage.

IMG_4393.jpg

IMG_4394.jpg

Sparco side mounts were bolted to this. I've removed these and the runners will bolt underneath the seat. If I can keep the brackets slim enough I'm hoping that I can get the seat a little lower than it was before.

Edited by robzracing

• 2 weeks later...

So, today the car got liveried up. Our sponsors will be getting a certain number of trackdays throughout the year where they can drive (with tuition) the car at Brands Hatch.

We seem to have people queuing up to sponsor it, so I think we're on the right track :)

IMG_4514.jpg

and a bit more tidying inside. Painted the metal plate holding the rubber gear leaver boot down and fitted some stainless bolts.

IMG_4491.jpg

Also ordered a missing Sabelt logo from the passenger straps. FOC, thank you Sabelt

IMG_4487.jpg

what was the results m8?

Interesting!

Arrived just after 7 to them gritting the track. Never a good sign and it was a good indication of how the day would go.

IMG_4565.jpg

IMG_4566.jpg

Most people there were teams testing plus the usual "rent a caterham" outfits which was fortunate really because even with mostly experienced drivers on the track I lost count of how many red flags there were!

We are lucky to have David Brown involved with our venture who is an instructor for MSV and we had him with us for the day but the bottom line is, with new unscrubbed AD08s, wind chill of -6 for the whole day and a track that remained damp and icy all day, PLUS no traction aids I think it is no small miracle that we managed to keep it off the grass and out of the gravel for the whole day.

It was impossible to get any heat into the tyres which was the common thread all along the pit lane so there was never really a point where we could get a real feel for the car. However, it was good to get it on track and we have come away with a list of further work, most of which we knew already, that we need to get done before our next outing in Feb or March before the season starts properly.

While we were there we managed to get the car on the weigh station which was good. 1460kg with half a tank of fuel, so, as everyone on here knows already, this is not a light car to take on track! But we could also see that the weight distribution has changed due to the strip out and now seems to be about 60/40 as opposed to the 52/48 that the manufacturer claims. I'm certain some adjustable suspension will help to remedy this but we may end up with some balast too. Any advice is welcome on this point.

I also had a chance to dry run some of our cameras, the views of which you can see below....

camera2.jpg

camera1-1.jpg

If I can get the file sizes down I may post some footage up. This video editing is new to me and I don't have any decent software either. So, something else for me to work on.

It's going to be a busy Christmas in the garage I think.

• Like 1

I was there on the 1st, the combination of grit and cold AD08s made it very interesting, especially around Clearways, so much understeer. It looks a lot quieter mid week though! Our Saturday open pit lane turned in to 15 minute sessions. :rant:

Yep, Clearways was catching a lot of people out. I think there were 34 cars there at the start of the day but the numbers dwindled after lunch. Like you say, it was impossible to get any heat in to the tyres.